New Hobby

mdunc8

I thought I'd spend some time playing with my rock collection that I accumulated during my 60-70 nights a year on the lower Yellowstone between 2008-13. I figured some of the folks from out in eastern Montana would appreciate them.
IMG_1785.jpg
View attachment 66864
IMG_1779.jpg
IMG_1781.jpg
IMG_1780.jpg
IMG_1782.jpg
IMG_1783.jpg
IMG_1784.jpg

If you're questioning my manliness for delving into the world of jewelry making, the proceeds are being used to fund a trip up to Alaska. Also, I did this last week and didn't cry...
IMG_1721.jpg

I just had a jeweler drill a moss agate for a present to my daughter. I would have gave the job to you if I had known. Do you shape and polish the stones too? or just tumble them.

I cut and shaped these before tossing them in a tumbler. I worked through a ton of rocks (I cut up everything but about a dozen of my favorites), so I didn't have time to polish them individually. I no longer have access to a rock saw or grinder, so my jewelry days will be over once I've worked through this batch. I probably won't ever collect enough to make it worth the effort or money to buy a saw and grinder. I can still drill holes through smaller pieces like the ones pictured here if you ever need some help. It's quick and easy, so I wouldn't ask for anything.

Last edited:
My oldest daughter is just getting into rock collecting and tumbling. I've found that it's a lot of fun.

They look good. Nice job on the hand also.

Glad you added the picture of the nail otherwise... Haha!

Really cool items! One appears to have some form of a plant material within the rock (at the base)... That is pretty interesting!

Glad you added the picture of the nail otherwise... Haha!

Really cool items! One appears to have some form of a plant material within the rock (at the base)... That is pretty interesting!

The stone is called Montana moss agate. The "plant material" is what gives it its name. Often people think that petrified plants were trapped in the quartz, but the "moss" in moss agate is actually an inclusion of dendritic feldspar. The feldspar crystallizes and the quartz agate grows around it.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back