Caribou Gear Tarp

New guy ? regarding tags!

NH546

Hey I'm an addicted white tail hunter. I am finally in a position in life where I can start taking some more adventurous diy hunts. I would really love to take on a self guided sheep hunt. My question is do any states offer an OTC tag for sheep? If not which state would be my best bet to start putting in for. Hind sight being what it always is I should have been putting in for preference points all these years. Thank you for any info.

There's only one. Montana. There's only a few units that have OTC tags. There's a reason for this. Low, Low sheep densities. Rugged wilderness. Tough hunt but some guys do it and succeed. Many more who try experience reality come crashing down on top of their daydreams.
If you can get lucky and draw a tag in a limited unit its a whole different ballgame. The only problem with that is statistically you will never draw as a nonresident in your lifetime in Montana. However, someone gets those tags every year.
Don't limit yourself to sheep only. There are tons of great hunts for other species as well that are affordable and accessible to you.

Thanks for the info guys. Don't worry about me limiting myself, I hunt the poop out of everything. It's just one of those trips I want to through into the basket. I love to hike and climb and what a better way to do it than while hunting.

Regarding draw that you should have been putting in for since you were two,If you want to spend the big bucks, Stone are available as are Desert in Mexico OTC but I think these require guides. Dall in Alaska used to be easy tag and you could do your own but it has been over 25 years since I did it....may require a guide now since you might get lost or have a grizz attack you or whatever reason they came up with to keep outfitters happy...

Most everyone covered it all. The only "OTC" tags are in Montana's unlimited units. As people said, the tags are unlimited for a reason. Typically the quota in those units (I believe there are five of them if I remember correctly) is one or two sheep, and you have to check in every night to see if the quota's been met. Sometimes it's filled in the first 24 hours...other times the quota isn't met all season long.

Other than those units in Montana, you're either looking at paying $30K-70K to hunt a sheep depending on the species (Dall in Alaska, Rocky Mountain Bighorns and Stones in Canada, or Desert sheep in Mexico are more or less your only option if you want to hunt sheep every year).

You have odds well under 1% each year to draw the best sheep tags in each state. Some states have no bonus/preference points, like New Mexico and Idaho (Idaho has some units that your odds of drawing are 10-25% -- but they're that high for a reason). Some states you can theoretically draw the first year, and some states you have no chance to draw a tag for many, many years. Even in the states where you can theoretically draw, like I said, your odds are close to zero.

That being said...welcome to the world of sheep hunting!! I just started playing the application game a few years ago and you can't play if you aren't in the game. It's important to have reasonable expectations around this all. If you are interested in learning more, I recommend scouring the forums and looking into places like the Huntin' Fool to learn more about the top sheep units and the odds to draw the tags. Good luck!

Back