Caribou Gear

New from Florida

Welcome!

Yes, there is a gap between the videos and being on ground but if you watch all the videos and make a couple hunts you can reduce the learning curve. Grew up hunting whitetail and small game and started hunting out West a few years ago. I'll never catch the guys who have been hunting the West for decades but my Southern hunting experience meant I wasn't starting from scratch.

Wind, wind, wind. I'm sure I got busted many times by wind hunting whitetail and I didn't know it but you'll find out how important it is hunting elk. Watch Corey's videos and get Elk 101 to learn how to call.
Ive picked up on that watching videos. Like you said, I would have assumed hunting whitetails we took our scent seriously enough, but apparently on elk its a WAY bigger deal. The one thing it looks like, is its easier to get away with some movement, especially when they're in bow range unlike whitetails. Have you found that to be true?

Hey! I'm a newbie here too, I wanted to welcome you as I'm planning to move to Florida for living soon. So, I think here I will find some useful information about this region.
The hunting down here is actually pretty great, the deer look like the dog from the grinch for the most part, but we really have great public duck hunting and amazing turkey hunting. As well as some different things, like gators.. obviously hogs are everywhere...

Ive picked up on that watching videos. Like you said, I would have assumed hunting whitetails we took our scent seriously enough, but apparently on elk its a WAY bigger deal. The one thing it looks like, is its easier to get away with some movement, especially when they're in bow range unlike whitetails. Have you found that to be true?
definitely more forgiving of movement, at least during rut. And forgiving of sound because they make so much noise as a big creature. But let the wind shift for one second and gone!

Wanted to do an introduction. Born and raised in Florida, been hunting here my whole life (in my early 30s). Mostly deer and turkey, but also love to waterfowl. Probably best at Turkey hunting and have a few slams under my belt. Also an avid offshore fisherman and work for a boat builder in Miami. Happy to help set anyone up with good fishing guides down here or offer input to anyone interested in coming to florida to hunt. Recently decided to start expanding my pursuits as many of my friends have moved out to the west, California and new mexico mainly. Was looking to get into some elk and mule deer hunting. Ive been trying to watch a lot of Randys videos to learn what i can, but i know theres a big gap between that and being on the ground trying to make it happen. Looking forward to gaining information and hopefully helping others if i can.
Welcome.

Back