New Bow....

ERSS

At the risk of starting a Ford vs. Chevy type thread, I am looking for some opinions on where to start. My brother in law just got a new PSE Omen and now I have the itch. I have been shooting a Archery Research AR 34 for the past several years, but am ready to upgrade. While I love to bowhunt, I am not an avid archery tech person. Looking for some opinions on which new models to check out to help me narrow the search right off the bat. I like compact and fast ( no anatomy jokes please :hump: ). Thanks in advance for any responses.

Go to your local bow shop and shoot every bow they have in your price range. You will know which one you want. If your in Eastern Idaho, I know a few if you need a suggestion.

There are a lot of nice new bows to choose from. I just switched from a matthews (which i never thought i'd do) to the new hoyt vector turbo and it shoots awesome. i was a little concerned with the lower 6 inch brace height speed bow but it is such a smooth easy shooting bow. Good luck finding the one that suits you.

i agree with above post. the bows on the market today are so competitive and close, it just depends on what feels right to you. my folks own an archery shop so i have several diff brands. i prefer hoyt, but i love the mathews too. just go to a pro shop and have them set em all up and shoot till you find one that fits you. best o luck!

I have owned a bunch of different brands and shot them all.I keep going back to the hoyts.Honest speeds smooth shooting and durable bows.Check out the turbo vector.I would not worry about the 6in brace it will still be more forgiving than bows from a few years ago.What is your draw lenght?

Thanks for the responses, I do plan to check several out and see how they feel.
Mthunter - I live near Downwind archery, Mountain archery and will also check out Sportsmans. Know of another good shop in E Idaho?

Sounds like Hoyt is definitely one to check out.

174 - Draw is 28

Thanks for the info.

Buy a used one in the classifieds on archery talk. You can pick up a two year old bow for less than half the original cost. I bought a 2010 G5 Primal for $350. Smokin deals!

Find one you want.

I own several compound bow brands including Bowtech and Hoyt. I'll take my Mathews 100% of the time. Can't say why, other than, just because.

I suggest you check out all your local Archery "Pro" shops.
Find a shop you like, with sales people, owners and technicions you like first.
Then, start looking at the bows they carry and recommend.

Just about every major bow maker turns out a good product, don't focus on brand or model so much as finding a draw curve, back wall and feel at the shot you like. Then, start looking at different bows that produce the type of performance you are looking for.

We are lucky to have quite a few shops to choose from in this area. There is another one in Driggs as well that I believe carriess Elite and maybe some others, I have not been in there. I'd just shoot as many as you can and then make a decision. The last time I bought a new one I left with a completely different one than I went in to buy.

x2 on checking out archerytalk classified ads.Go shoot bows at the pro shop to see what you like then look for a 1 or 2 year old bow on archerytalk and get for close to 1/2 price.Myself, i like Elites and bowtech bows,but I've never shot a mathews.By buying used, you can put some top of the line accesories on the bow,and not break the bank.I've bought 3 bows off of archerytalk.When I get them, I go to the pro shop and tune them up right.
most of the bows out on the market now are awesome so get what feels good to you

Shoot as many as you can get your hands on....if you buy off of AT check the sellers feedback...
buy what fits you the best...don't worry about the name on the limb...as long as it does not say Mathews you are good! :)

You can get more bang for your buck out of the smaller company bows....Elite, Athens, Strother, than the big boys...and they shoot as well or better in some cases...

Thanks for the tips guys, that Archery Talk classifieds seems to have smoking deals almost every day. Gonna hit the shops this week.

Thanks for the responses, I do plan to check several out and see how they feel.
Mthunter - I live near Downwind archery, Mountain archery and will also check out Sportsmans. Know of another good shop in E Idaho?QUOTE]

I would go to Mountain Archery for more options. They carry Mathews, Bowtech, Diamond, and others.

http://www.mountain-archery.com/

Last edited:
New used bow

Buy a used one in the classifieds on archery talk. You can pick up a two year old bow for less than half the original cost. I bought a 2010 G5 Primal for $350. Smokin deals!

I just found me a hardly used 2011 Hoyt CRX 35 on archerytalk.com for too cheap - it is a very sweet bow - really liking it. Whatever you are after - some great deals on used on archerytalk.com for sure.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back