Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

New bow hunters!

Hunter&Huntress

Hey everyone my wife and i just bought new bows. We have never bow hunted before and I have been doing alot of looking to at how to tune our bows and arrow selection. I am very confused on how you determine what spin you should use or the gain of the arrow. I was wondering if there is a book or a web site that has all this information that is easy to understand?

Lots of info out there,but lots of bad also.If you can find a good bow shop, that would be your best move IMO. It's their busy season so have patience (lots of people wait till the last minute.;))

There are a lot of arrow manufacturers and most are decent. Go to their websites, Easton for example, or GoldTip, and look for arrow selection charts. It will depend on your draw length, and draw weight. You can do a lot of Math and find kinetic energy, etc., but generally lighter arrows for speed, heavier spined arrows for energy and more stable flight. LOTS of factors will determine your arrows flight path and consistency. Good shooting form is at the top of the list. Like was said already, find a good archery shop and pay a little more for your gear there and get good advise from people that do it for a living. Most of all , have fun!

Lots of info out there,but lots of bad also.If you can find a good bow shop, that would be your best move IMO. It's their busy season so have patience (lots of people wait till the last minute.;))
I agree with spook...I could sit here and explain it to you but if your that new it just might confuse the hell out of you. Go to a bow shop and get a general understanding first. Any good shop will be more than happy tp help and teach you about your bow. Mistakes can end up costing you a lot of money.There are a lot of guys on here myself included who will be more than willing to help you in the future. Try these web sites first and read up.....:cool:
http://www.bowtuningtips.com/
http://www.edersbow.com/

Last edited:
If you go here and just read and linger you will be filled with more than you can get anywhere. (tiip) Read before you start asking questions. Archerytalk.com

What bows did you get. Do you recall your draw lengths, weights. I would also recommend all sites listed above. Welcome to the awesome world of archery, your outdoor experiences are about to be so much better. In the world of archery, opinions are like a holes. Everyone's got one and most of'm stink.

when i got into archery i read a ton and went to the bow shop to get as much info as i could. that gave me a good base setting. after that i tweaked just about everything on the bow to come up with a setting that worked best for me. i shot many different arrows and multiple broadheads to find my optimal combo. one thing i learned from years of testing in motocross, is once you get a good base setting you can tweak and tune and almost always make it better for you. so dont be afraid to try different stuff, just remember where you started so you can always go back if need be. oh and learn to work on ur own equipment (trust me its easy), not only will it save you some money, but it can save your hunt if you ever get in a pinch

thanks everyone for the info whiskeydog that web site has been very helpful. I got a bowtech assassin with a 70 lb draw and a 27.5 draw length, My wife got the bowtech heartbreaker with 50 lb draw and a 26 draw length.

May I suggest you practice with her setup every so often so there is always a "backup bow" in camp. Draw weight on yours may make the reverse option not available.

Look for this book on Ebay, will get you well on the way to understanding modern bowhunting equipment.

Setting Up the Perfect Hunting Bow - Winke, Bill

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back