Never Forget

My gut still churns, as I remember the events of that day. The defining moment of my generation.

Tough morning for me.I remember the morning clearly.
Lost a friend in the Pentagon that day and went on alert at work for the next 6 months,then patroling the damn site on one of our lakes.

I am a high school teacher. My new freshman coming in this year only know about 9-11 as a date in history. They were not alive when it happened.

I can't understand how anyone of a reasonable age could forget that day, I remember exactly where I was and what I was doing.
Likewise, i was driving in my works van listening on the radio, first report came in i thought what a terrible accident, then the second report was reported and it all hit home, terrible day.

I still remember where I was at work and what I was doing, we all thought it was a accident until the second plane. A very somber day at work after that not much got done. My oldest son was born in January 2002 so he does consider it history, but we have taken the time to expain to him and the other two what it was and means. May we never forget. Thanks for posting english stalker.

I was sleeping in the back of a HUMVEE in the training area on Fort Lewis. We were finishing a 2 week BDE level exercise and were in the reconstitution CP waiting to go back to the garrison area. My buddy, the LTCs driver, came and woke me up (it was 0530 there) and told me. I thought he was kidding....no such luck. We started rounding up anyone who could possibly have people in the WTC to try and get word. I remember being strangely calm and knowing shit (for the Army) had just gotten real. Then we found out later that day that they were not going to let us go in. We had to sit for 2 days without being able to talk to our families. We were a bunch of pissed off dudes. I got home and held my wife and little one (only had the one at that time) for a long time. Then I watched the video.....just that once. I have not watched it since. If you would have told me prior to that that I would have reenlisted during a war I would have told you that you were crazy, but I did it 3 more times before I retired. Now my biggest fear is that people keep trying to make believe that there aren't untold millions out there who wish nothing more than to destroy us and our way of life. There is a poster I have seen in some of our team rooms at Group.....it goes something to the effect of "All around the world people are training to kill YOU right now....what are YOU doing?"

Well said, SFC B. What a terrible day. I am saddened that so many have forgotten and have chosen to ignore the treat of terrorism.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Loper96
Back