Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Nevada Goose Hunt

prescott2k

I finally managed to meet up with my uncle, nvlongbow, this last weekend for an awesome canadian goose hunt. I managed to knock down two, as did my uncle. What made this hunt even more exciting for me was that these were my first two geese ever! Definitely has me fired up to get back out there again. My four year old not only loved eating the geese, she pretty much told me to go get her some more! I think I may have a future waterfowler in my family lol!

Attachments

• image1.jpg
    image1.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 411
Last edited:
Way cool! I'm impressed that you got a 4 year old to eat goose meat!

I finally managed to meet up with my uncle, nvlongbow, this last weekend for an awesome canadian goose hunt. I managed to knock down two, as did my uncle. What made this hunt even more exciting for me was that these were my first two geese ever! Definitely has me fired up to get back out there again. My four year old not only loved eating the geese, she pretty much told me to go get her some more! I think I may have a future waterfowler in my family lol!

It gets addicting. Congrats on the birds and on your daughter being a future waterfowl hunter.

Nemont

Ahhh, the memories! I still have a batch of those Carrylite Mag decoys in my attic. Killed many a goose over them. We would lay on a burlap sack, put a small goose shell decoy under our head for a prop/pillow and lay one of those big guys on our chest. When their feet were down at the diner we'd roll the big decoy off and start blazing! Canada geese are found in more areas than they used to be, maybe there is some closer to where you live. Enjoy the hunts!

Addicting to say the least. Unique country to be hunting waterfowl in, very neat.

Post some more pictures of your blind/hide and the setup for us waterfowlers!

Geese are good table fare if you know how to cook them. Compared to duck I would say a little tougher as a rule, about the same flavor but they are so much bigger that they yield many more lbs of meat.

I have done it just about as many ways as a person can: Jerky, Sausage, pulled goose, apple cider brined smoked goose breasts, goose pastrami, whole roasted goose, whole brined and smoked goose, goose stew, I even canned a bunch of goose meat once.

Jerky, Apple Cider brined and pulled goose are the favorite of my kids, which is the standard I use: If the kids will eat then it is good.

Nemont

Pulled goose is outstanding. It also makes very good stew and chili, just cube it up like elk stew meat.

Another great way is to run fillet the breast off the bone, fillet each breast in half again and run through a cuber and make chicken fried steaks. That is another one the kids will gobble up.

Nemont

I spent 12 years in Nevada. Some of the best waterfowl hunting I've ever done. We used to hammer ducks out at Stillwater and geese on the Carson river. mtmuley

Well, better late than never. I haven't been on the site in a long while so I thought I'd better check up and be sure to thank you all for the kind words. I'm planning on getting out again in a couple of weeks so wish me luck!

Back