Need UT opinion ASAP

T Bone

I just got a call from Utah DOW, someone turned a tag in for a deer hunt and my name is next on the list.

It's Deer, muzzleloader, for Books Cliffs Sept 28 - Oct 6th. I can arrange 6 days time off and the tag fees and it's only a 2-3 hour drive.

I need your opinion ASAP as I have 3 hours to decide before I head up to the mountain to stick a bull elk.

Is this a good hunt worth burning 3 points? Any big deer running around that part of Utah?

Thanks.

Last edited:
I hunted it last year on an Expo tag. Fun hunt. Dont expect 180"+ type deer. But with six days you can find one. If you take it, PM me and I will point you in the right direction.

Book Cliffs are well worth 3 points. Friend of mine shot a big 6 x 5 with eye guards last year. I think that it scored 195... I will see if I can find pictures...

T Bone, I can't get the picture off my phone (not a smart phone). Book Cliffs have great deer, I would take it!

T Bone, I can't get the picture off my phone (not a smart phone). Book Cliffs have great deer, I would take it!

If you text, you can text it to your email address. Just enter the email instead of a phone number.

HAHAHA!!! I am smarter than the phone!!!

Attachments

• IMG_1909.jpg
    IMG_1909.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 334
  • IMG_1752.jpg
    IMG_1752.jpg
    356.6 KB · Views: 338
Tick Tock...time is up

I'm going with a grin. My wife must love me afterall! This one has strings attached, but that's A-OK.

The permit and license are being overnighted to me. This is an odd ball scenario that I've never had before.

Thanks everyone for all the info. This is a unit I've never set foot in and I'll be looking for any and all help I can get.

The trick is that I'm heading out the door now to kill this pesky 320" bull that has been vexing my best efforts the last 3 weeks. Will be out as late as Saturday if needed. Then I work 4 twelve hour shifts and then go to UT to kill a deer.

I hope I have powder for the muzzy.

I did have 5 points for deer, not 3. I never really expected to draw a UT tag.

Good luck with that elk! It is a good area for deer, I think you will enjoy it.

Like any trophy mule deer...they are hard to come by. The Book Cliffs has them though. I saw a tremendous buck several years ago while helping a couple friends on their late season elk hunt. If only their elk tag were a deer tag.

I'm back from the archery elk hunt with a punched tag and bloody arrow....and two broken arrows. Completely porked two good shots on a very nice 6x6. A couple hours later, a 5x5 came in silent and my broadhead center punched his heart.

Now I'm in prep mode for the Book Cliffs deer hunt.

3bigelk, PM sent on your generous offer to share info.

Anyone else willing to share general or specific information on this hunt will be greatly appreciated.

Sorry to sound like the spaz guy that is completely unprepared.

Last edited:
congrats on the elk! I will see if i can get some info from my buddy...

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jordanhronek
Back