Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Need new scope mounted - Cabela's for free or gunsmith?

carljohnson

Hey all. This is my first post here on HuntTalk. I bought a Tikka T3X Superlite .308 from Cabela's and I have a Leupold VX-5HD 2-10x42mm CDS-ZL2 that I'll be putting on it. I'm wondering if I should take it back to Cabela's as they will mount the scope for free or would I get better results from a gunsmith. I live in Colorado and had good results from TJ's Gunsmithing in Aurora (http://www.tjsgunsmithing.net). Cabela's will mount and bore site for free while TJ's will mount and collimate my scope for $50.00 (I don't even know what collimate means). Would I get better results from a gunsmith? Will they lap the rings?

Any thoughts?

I don't know how and I don't trust myself to do it. By the time I buy what I need to do it myself (vice, torque wrench, etc), I could have gotten it done. Plus this is only my second rifle, I don't have an arsenal.

You should have an Allen wrench set and a screw driver set already if you don't buy one you'll use it all the time anyway. Install it yourself and take pride in your work

If you want it done absolutely perfectly, then yeah. Get a vice and a torque wrench and a lapping bar and a scope level kit.

Or just do it like 99% of hunters. Use a screwdriver and the universal german torque spec: "guttentite"

If this is a $1500 precision long range rifle, then, by all means, disregard my advice. Otherwise, just watch some youtube videos and set it up yourself. You won't hurt anything by trying and you will learn in the process. Consider getting some blue loctite as insurance on your bases and rings. Best of luck!

That's a pretty expensive scope for a 1st time mounting. If cabelas aligns and laps rings I would use them. If not, gunsmith.

$1,000 rifle and $1,000 scope..., seems like folly to skimp on mating the two together. I will not be doing this myself.

If you want it done absolutely perfectly, then yeah. Get a vice and a torque wrench and a lapping bar and a scope level kit.

Or just do it like 99% of hunters. Use a screwdriver and the universal german torque spec: "guttentite"

If this is a $1500 precision long range rifle, then, by all means, disregard my advice. Otherwise, just watch some youtube videos and set it up yourself. You won't hurt anything by trying and you will learn in the process. Consider getting some blue loctite as insurance on your bases and rings. Best of luck!

Gunsmith for aligning and lapping, or buy a kit from midway USA and do it yourself.

Oh yeah...That is a nice scope...I don't know how I missed that the first read. It might be worth having a pro do it if you're worried about it.

What kind of rings and bases?

I've found that if someone doesn't trust their self to do a job and there is some valuable materials involved, then probably best done by someone else.

I have remounted scopes for more people than you would believe.
Little mistakes can turn costly.

Anyone else had the privilege of drilling out ring screws on a stripped install job?

Not fun.

Leupold rings I would want lapped and properly mounted. I love Leupold rings, but most of the ones that I have used needed lapped. The other route would be to get a set of high end rings that are a matched set and don't need lapped.

Leupold rings I would want lapped and properly mounted. I love Leupold rings, but most of the ones that I have used needed lapped. The other route would be to get a set of high end rings that are a matched set and don't need lapped.

Most of the time the reason rings need lapped isn't an issue with the rings at all. No matter the manufacturer. Usually there is another problem somewhere. mtmuley

Most of the time the reason rings need lapped isn't an issue with the rings at all. No matter the manufacturer. Usually there is another problem somewhere. mtmuley

Yep, rifle tap tolerances can vary imperceptibly. I've used the poly inserts but never had 100% faith in em....lap everything now and according to the lap marks, justifiably so.

I would pay for the smith to do it if you don't have comfort level or tools. Many scopes have been damaged by being over torqued. I have had to redo everyone one Cabela's/Sportsman's has done for me. I'm sure some of the guys there know what they are doing, but that was not my experience. I finally got fed up and bought a bore sight, torque wrench, level. Probably about $200 all in for tools. If your going to mount one rifle and keep it on there for years, just pay the smith.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceemee63
Back