Need advice for 79 yr old father-in-law, my hunting buddy

Retire2017

As Ohio residents, here's the help we need. My father-in-law who I've hunted with for many years has 16 elk preference points in Colorado. We've hunted together unit 62 and most recently unit 61 but always for cow elk in 61. His dream for a long time has been to rifle hunt for a bull in 61 but it doesn't look like he's going to be able to catch the creep. I see other units that appear to have promise based solely on the amount of points they require. Those units are 20, 49, and 76. I'm looking for a unit that's not too difficult to traverse based on his age (79 yrs old). He's not your typical 79-year-old as he still bowhunts whitetails at a high-level in Ohio, is comfortable using his climbing stand to go up and down trees, and can still walk for miles. With that being said he is starting to slow down and is looking for a not so difficult hunt, terrain wise. He's talking about cashing in his 16 points for a cow hunt in unit 61 which would break my heart. He's been too dedicated to throw those points away on a cow hunt. Any information or ideas for a CO bull hunt would be tremendously appreciated. Thank you very much!

Last edited:
I archery hunted 49 a couple of years ago and it was amazing. The terrain can be as nice or as steep as you want it to be. I passed on cows and spikes (it was an any elk tag) and came home empty handed and it was my own fault, wanting to hold out for a monster. Where we camped there was wallows and water holes within an easy flat land mile walk. The trail was in a valley and there was elk running all over it. Heck, we even saw moose. The other guys I went with all tagged out on bulls, and I was the only one who didn't, since I had to leave early to deal with a sick wife. The day before the season opener we had a bull walking down the FS road within 30 yards of camp. I would highly recommend 49.

Last edited:
I'm not familiar with all of the units you mentioned, but 76 is STEEP! I've heard that 49 has a little bit of everything as far as terrain, but parts of it are steep as well. As you probably know, 61 & 62 are fairly mild in terms of terrain. That's why it's so crowded in 62. I wouldn't burn his points on a cow tag. There are lots of CO guys in this forum. I bet they can point you in the right direction.

Yeah, don't let him burn those points on a cow. I'd look into a drop camp in a unit like 49 as Cush suggested. Getting packed into a spot on horseback will save his legs and you guys will have a great time and have a good chance at a nice bull. I've used Halfmoon Packing & Outfitting before. Very reasonably priced and Tom can get him back into good-looking elk country where you guys will have fun.

I wouldn't recommend unit 20. There is a lot of private land and it's proximity to the front range metropolis means there are a lot more recreational users in this forest. I live in the boulder area and cut my teeth in unit 20 but that was a number of years ago now. I haven't hunted it in 10 years or more.

I have some experience in unit 49. Feel free to pm me if you want some details on that hunt.

I have hunted unit 20 my whole life and the access could be tough for an older guy its steep and rugged where the best bulls are found. like commando nate mentioned above tons of private with a few access points that you are sure to have company at you just have to get in and walk further than the other guy. The elk know where they are safe and they move through what we call the kill zone sometimes in 2 days to the private if the snow pushes them out of the park

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1sockeye2
Back