Nebraska Public Land Hunting...Need Advice

kerce

We are heading up to chadron nebraska friday to hunt mule deer on public land. Just need any advice or experiences y'all can share with me. We have maps and have pretty good idea where we are going to start hunting but never hurts to have a plan B. Thanks

The Grass lands up in the northwest corner are a good place to start also the Pine Ridge National Forest around Chadron is a good area dont be afriad to knock on a few doors alot of the land owners up there will let you hunt if you take the time to stop and talk to them. Do not over look Fort Robinson State Park over around Crawford. Also expect alot of other hunters that part of the state gets pounded during rifle season. Good luck and dont forget to give a quick intro on here as you will get a much better response from these guys then you will by your first post asking for help just my two cents.

good luck

Don't forget to look at some of the walk in areas as well. A couple of good ones north of Crawford this year. There are a couple of roadless areas one in the nf and the other is wilderness by fort Robinson. I'm sure you can find it on the map. The chineese restaurant in chadron, BBQ shack in Crawford, and the museum of the fur trade are things to do while your there. If I can tag out in Kansas I'll be there as well.

I appreciate all the advice. Didn't know about an intro or I would have. Hope you tag out in Kansas too. Once again thanks for yalls information.

do it yourself nebraska mulie

Just reading some of these old posts and was wondering if I could get some info as well. My brother and I love adventure, lived in Alaska, and have hunted many states. We are planning on doing a self guided mule deer hunt on opener of firearms this upcoming fall. Not scared to walk. hearing a lot about the crawford and chadron areas. Anything would be greatly appreciated.

get a public lands pamphlet. chadron wma is real good. I have always parked a the gate walked up in and stayed to the left of the fork and gained elevation and parked it at the top of the ridge. ponderosa wma is also good as well as fort robinson but this is little harder to hunt because they have/had drawing for each area the night before.

Good luck. Lots of ground and lots of people. Nebraska would not be my choice for a public-land hunt and I live here! There are some great deer taken every year on public land, as long as you can duck the other people.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back