Neat Addition for Decoys

DRAFTSTUD

Chuck Nelson has a better, cheaper alternative for duck hunters who want to put a little life in their decoys.

Instead of investing $100-plus in a mechanically run decoy, hunting enthusiasts can purchase two of the Haughton resident's plastic wings for about $7 and attach them to any decoy they already own.

Currently seeking a patent for his creation that was 20 months in the making, Nelson has handed out some of his wings to a few local duck hunters with some success.

"They've been pleased with the results in bringing ducks in," Nelson said. "It's such a simple idea that I can't believe someone hasn't done it before now."

The lightweight wings are attached to a rod that is placed on the back of the decoy. When the wind blows, so do the decoys, giving the fake ducks the appearance of flapping their wings.

"Ducks like movement," Nelson said. "Most duck hunters have 20, 50 or 100 decoys in their garage and this gives them the alternative to upgrade them inexpensively."

And they're easily installed.

"You can snap them on the back of your decoy in about three seconds," Nelson said.

Nelson, who created the I Fly Away, Co., came upon the idea after watching blades of grass blow in the wind in his back yard, located off Sligo Road near Olde Oaks Golf Course.

"I watched the blade move back and forth, then came in and drew up a prototype," Nelson said. "I've already visited with a patent lawyer who's run a search to make sure that there wasn't already something like it on the market. We've sent in a drawing and are waiting to get the paperwork back from the patent office."

Houston native, Nelson's background includes a stint working on B-29 bombers and 35 years of splicing wires together for South Central Bell. He's been an amateur roller skater, trained quarter horses and even boxed with the (George) Dement family during his younger days.

How well Nelson's newest idea takes off remains to be seen, but Nelson is hoping it becomes a country-wide phenomenon.

"I've only sold about $200 worth so far, but there are about 300,000,000 people in the U.S. and I'd like to be able to reach them," Nelson said. "I've given out samples to about 15 to 20 people. It's hard when it's an unknown item."

But Nelson isn't just limiting his production to just duck wings. He's also created wings for dove decoys in an attempt to lure the pesky fliers into areas where hunters are stationed.

"I've also working on one for people who like to hunt coyotes. It simulates a bird in distress to attract the animals," Nelson said.

The entrepreneur is also working on a single wing variety that would sit in the middle of a decoy and flap back and forth.

If you aren't into hunting, Nelson isn't leaving you out.

He's got one that sits on a pole in the backyard for an attractive yard ornament.

"It's not like a weather vane, where it will turn with the wind. When the wind's blowing in my yard, I run outside and turn it into the wind," Nelson said.

I Fly Away, Co.
What: Manufactures plastic duck wings for duck decoys and other items
Cost: About $7 per pair

Fellas, I read about this while drinking my coffee and wished I had thought of it! It should really work well and it's simple! John

Back