ND Mulie and WT Hunts

Buschy

Last weekend my father made the trek to western ND for our yearly mulie hunt. He loves the Badlands and we both look forward to this every year. This year we each had one doe tag. My father filled his Saturday morning and I got mine later that afternoon. This is always a relaxing hunt with plenty of time to visit and catch up in person. I don’t care how old a son gets, there are few things better than hunting with your father on a beautiful fall day! Thanks dad!!

Attachments

• IMG_0083.jpg
    IMG_0083.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 284
  • IMG_0084.jpg
    IMG_0084.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 286
  • IMG_0085.jpg
    IMG_0085.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 286
Yesterday I had the pleasure of hunting on Upper Deck’s family ranch SE of Bismarck, ND. Upper Deck (Ryan) lives in Kansas, but the ranch is here in ND. His father, Jim, asked me to come out and spend the day with him trying to find a good whitetail buck. Not a problem as I am always up for a day of hunting! I got to the ranch well before sunrise and we headed out to overlook some CRP and rolling hills. On the walk in, I spotted this buck cruising around obviously looking for does. We watched him until legal shooting light at which time he walked to within 40 yards of us and stopped to try and figure out what we were sitting in the grass. Jim pulled the trigger and dropped him straight to the ground! Our hunt lasted a total of 15 minutes.:D Jim is not as serious about hunting as Ryan and this was his best buck ever (though they have some bruiser WT’s on the ranch every year). I told Jim I would mount this buck for him and we would add it to the “trophy room” at the ranch. Ryan keeps most of his mounts at the ranch and they are nice enough to let me keep many of mine out there as well.

We took pictures and spent the remainder of the day processing the buck, playing cards and pheasant hunting. Ryan’s family ranch is absolutely loaded with pheasants!! They believe is providing quality habitat for wildlife and it shows. I will be having Thanksgiving with Ryan and his family in a few weeks and we are going to put the hurt to the roosters again. It was a great day spent with a great guy. Congratulations Jim and let’s do it again next year!!

Attachments

• 2009 Jim.jpg
    2009 Jim.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 279
  • 2009 Jim Greg.jpg
    2009 Jim Greg.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 277
  • IMG_0114.jpg
    IMG_0114.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 277
Last edited:
Good looking batch a meat you laid on the ground. Congrats to the man for killing is best buck ever!

Looks good Buschy. Thanks for spending the day out their and helping my dad fill his tag. Thanksgiving might be a few rough days for the pheasants.

Nice mixed bag!

I'm going to shoot me one of those ditch parrots one of these years. Maybe I should take a shotgun to MT next week.

I don’t care how old a son gets, there are few things better than hunting with your father on a beautiful fall day! Thanks dad!!
That is so true!! Get out to do that as much as possible, as unfortunately dad's aren't around forever.

On another note, those badlands looks like a BLAST to hunt. Might have to start getting some points in ND...

Back