PEAX Equipment

natural gear issues

VAspeedgoat

On another thread I mentioned natural gear camo and another member posted that they got spotted easily. I was wonderinf if this was noticed by anyone else. I have been pleased by mine, but curious what more experienced guys had seen........or had not seen.

Camo doesn't make you invisible. I don't care what you are wearing, You move at the wrong time and you are busted!

Camo has nothing to do with hunting.

It's 100% a product of modern marketing and product placement. It's impossible to know what an animal can or cannot see. Camo patterns are made to appeal to humans buying their product.

I saw a video where they filmed in a neutral color (how scientist think the animals see) and had two guys, one in camo and the other in just black clothing. when the guys were walking you could see both about the same. when they were not moving you had just as hard a time finding the plain clothed guy as you did the camo one. It was a cool video and comparison.
I get caught up in the hype of camo.
One time I was walking back to my truck when I ran into a guy. It was just getting dark (past shooting light) and I didn't even see him until I was on top of him. He started to walk again and I lost sight of him again until he skylighted himself. I am not sure what camo he had on or if I was just as hard to see. But he definitely blended into his surroundings.

John

Kryptek camo is hands down the best camo for western hunting no matter the terrain

I killed more deer as a young man with blue jeans and a red mackinaw then with all the new camo.

Kryptek camo is hands down the best camo for western hunting no matter the terrain

Based on what measures and parameters?

Go spend some time watching duck hunters and you will quickly appreciate how little the type of camo pattern matters in the grand scheme of things. There are many other factors that will have much greater importance, such as how you hide, exposed skin, shine off of clothing and gear, etc.

Any more my gear purchases are based primarily on the functionality of the piece. Camo pattern doesn't even really come into play, in fact I buy mostly solids.

Even the best camo patterns are not worth much if folks don't understand the other factors that come into play. I was involved in a training last year where I was able to pick out a sniper team from several hundred yards away, without optics because they didn't properly utilize shadows and cover.

Now granted, that has nothing to do with hunting, but reality is, for hunting purposes camo is so much marketing hype it's not funny. I do buy some camo, but with the mindset that it's a very small advantage I'm playing for and is no substitute for hunting skill.

VA, I have a Sitka Core in their early pattern, mothwing I think. I got spotted by elk every time I wore it and from a long way away.
I've hunted Elk for over 40 years and have a pretty good grasp on what's going on around me and that dam shirt was like a beacon. The last straw was when a bull was about 100 yards out crossing in front of me, no idea I was there and I was behind a tree, laying on the ground just watching him go by. He stopped mid stride, snapped his head around and picked me right out. I had already gone thru the washing, uv spray, anything I could think of and nothing worked. Some may disagree but I saw it with my own eyes, many times till I finally just quit wearing it. I don't know about natural gear but I'll never wear that mothwing Core shirt again.
I use the Open Country Sitka almost exclusively now and have no problems, but I've killed more Elk in Lee 88's and a Bob Fratzke sweater than I ever will in the new technical stuff.

Last edited:
Is it possible some clothing articles just suck? Bad mojo? This is turning into a pretty good thread. You guys that don't mind solids, are there colors or shades that do better? I still think faded carhartt brown is great.

" I still think faded carhartt brown is great."

Me too but OR is a pretty good state for getting shot with a bow so I've been reluctant to wear mine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Killcarp2
Back