Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Native Montana License

Do any other states have a program similar to what Montana is doing selling former residents reduced priced tags?

The license and funding advisory council was far less concerned about the potential increase or reduction in revenue than in the over all fairness of the program when it was debated and the recommendation was made. For example. My son has lived in Montana all of his life but would not qualify for the cheap license because he was born in Wyo. The history of how the program got its start and that there is no cap on the number of tags available was also was mentioned negatively in the debate.

Arntlerradar

Are we going to have to do the whole bring our family member down to the fish and game office with a birth certificate, utility bill and all that jazz under the new option?

The license and funding advisory council was far less concerned about the potential increase or reduction in revenue than in the over all fairness of the program when it was debated and the recommendation was made. For example. My son has lived in Montana all of his life but would not qualify for the cheap license because he was born in Wyo. The history of how the program got its start and that there is no cap on the number of tags available was also was mentioned negatively in the debate.

Arntlerradar

I agree with this assessment completely.

One person can be entitled to this benefit if they move away at age 18 and never contribute anything to Montana's economy, yet your son could work there for 20 years, move away and not be entitled to a damned thing.

We chose to move away from Montana because of a much better paying job. I don't mind paying more for a license because I fully realized the costs and benefits. I never expected any handouts. However, it does really gall me that this welfare license is handed out because of a birth certificate. Idaho's lifetime license is granted to all, recognizing that you lived here and contributed to the state and therefore are offered the benefit.

I truly believe most Montana hunters appreciate the great opportunities at bargain basement prices and willingly will "pony up" to pay more of their fair share to reduce the disparity between R and NR fees.

The vocal whiners will always be there and seemingly take up too much volume in the room (in a number of ways), but nothing short of a free license would ever make them feel their glass is "half full". The true supporters of hunting, wildlife, and the work of FWP will quietly and gladly contribute.

I disagree here. I think the minority is actually the number of folks who would pony up the extra tag fees without complaining. I sat through too many commission meetings to think otherwise. Just my opinion.

I know what you mean, JLS. However, my perception is that the complainers are the ones who attend the meetings. The silent majority is too busy with the good life they enjoy.

If hope this will make you feel better. The LFAC received very few comments from complainers. They were far out numbered by the number of people that believed that Montana residents needed to take on more of the funding of FWP. Currently nonresidents contribute twice as much and residents.

Antlerradar

I know what you mean, JLS. However, my perception is that the complainers are the ones who attend the meetings. The silent majority is too busy with the good life they enjoy.
To be up front, I have never been to a MT FWP meeting. That said, I've been to my share of those types of meetings. As such, I have a hard time believing that the folks who'd have a hard time paying $5-10 more for a tag have the gumption to attend a meeting...

Total licenses sales; nonresidents 2/3, residents 1/3. FWP also gets other money like P R funds. A lot of it is also coming from nonresidents.

Antlerradar

To be up front, I have never been to a MT FWP meeting. That said, I've been to my share of those types of meetings. As such, I have a hard time believing that the folks who'd have a hard time paying $5-10 more for a tag have the gumption to attend a meeting...

It is my experience at FWP meetings that it is not the $5-10 or license cost issues that bring the naysayers to the meetings. That group is there primarily to oppose whatever it is that FWP might be for.

Texas has a lifetime hunting license that is also good and remains valid even if the holder moves to a different state.

I bought one for my son before he was a year old.

I knew about the Kansas lifetime tag being transferable but not Texas. Oklahoma has the same deal as I have a lifetime license there. But that is a somewhat different situation than letting former residents buy reduced priced tags every year.

I am not aware of any states that have a similar plan to the MT plan. Doesn't seem to be catching on in surrounding states either. Probably for good reason.

So did this end up passing at the 50% of the nonresident combo prices?

And it becomes effective in 2016?

I'm trying to talk one of my brothers into doing a Montana elk hunt this year since I've struck out in Wyoming and New Mexico on drawing an elk tag and the difference between an $80 tag and a $488 tag would make a big difference to him.

Back