Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

N. E. Calif Youth Hunt

califelkslayer

Today was my sons last youth duck hunt. 9He's 15) Hunted just south of Modoc refuge out of Alturas. He's had better results on previous shoots but this one was special. I had him set up for honkers early and he shot two birds. Instead of sitting with him, He sat by himself while I was quite a ways away. He made some mistakes but he did it on his own. Then we hightailed it to the duck pond where he shot 7 ducks. He wasn't picky on the quality and ended up with a 'mixed bag.' Seems to be more honkers than usual for this hunt. Don't know if it was a good local hatch, birds moved in already or the cold weather. It was 27 degrees this morning with skim ice on the small water.

Thats what we like to hear !!!! Kudos on going with the kid and Congrats on the hunt.

My boss slipped out for the weekend opener and his boy got 2 stupid ducks and a Stupid goose. It's great that birds are not people/gun shy for the Youth hunts ;)

Congrats !!!

califelkslayer- Welcome to Moosie's from another Kalifornican!

I had forgot all about the youth opener....we were deer hunting over near McCoy Flat Res. this weekend and at day break I saw movement down on the shoreline....no bucks, it was a couple of kids in full cammy puting out decoys!
Thought WTF?? Now I realize what was happening. They also had a couple of spinners out which I thought you couldn't use till after the split (2nd half of the season) but maybe that doesn't apply to the youth hunts?

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCEAB
Back