Caribou Gear

Mystery ranch quick draw rifle sling

Lyfter1013

Hey guys been looking at different ways of carrying rifle with pack. I know a lot of guys like the gun bearers but im not sure how I’d like having my rifle positioned under my arm and going up in front of me like that.
Anyway came across this mystery ranch quick draw rifle sling and was wondering if anyone had tried one of these? And if you liked it?

Sucks! I picked one up at Scheels on my way out to CO for this year's elk hunt. I'm a lefty so the Stone glacier one didn't work with my MR pack and I didn't like to sideways cant of the under-arm gunbearers. The MR sling would slide off every 3 or 4 steps if I was lucky. It took about 15 minutes of hiking before ditching it and carrying my rifle for the day.

I had the same thoughts about the under arm sling. Just looks like it would be uncomfortable carrying that way. I ordered a quick draw yesterday. Will report back once I’ve had a chance to do some hiking with it. Where I hunt in UT there’s a lot of dense cover that I constantly seem to need to get through. I currently use a holder on the back of my pack which has two issues. First is I need to drop my pack to access my rifle. And second is the rifle is constantly getting caught up in cover since it doesn’t duck as far as I do. Quick draw should fix the first problem. But may only partially fix the second. At $90, it’s not exactly a cheap experiment! I hope works.

Thanks let me know what you think of it. Looking at the design it seems like it would work but all I’ve been able to find is negative reviews

Like the OP, carrying a rifle under my arm via the Kifaru Gun Bearer method sounds odd and uncomfortable. However after making my own lower unit and buying the upper clasp from Kifaru, I quickly discovered the beauty to this carry method. Not only hands-free (for binoculars or trekking poles) but your legs do the work of carrying the rifle. I also discovered that seeing the barrel was another reminder to always practice good muzzle control. Unlike some, my rifle (Sako Finnlight) always stayed upright - scope side up. Before you pass judgement, see if you can try one out via a friend or a mock-up. You might be surprised. Hope this helps...

I am planning to add it to mine as I have tried strapping it to the back of pack before and have my rifle move a lot or even slide out.

I bought some little plastic thing that fits on my shoulder strap instead. Cost like $15 bucks, called the gunslinger. Works great but not as hands free as the gun bearer but dang useful.

I'm on the same boat as the OP. Changing backpacks this season from an Eberlestock to a Mystery Ranch Pop Up 38.

I'm currently looking at the Mystery Ranch Quick Draw sling, Gun Bearer, Pak-Rat rifle sling, Sling Saddle and others.

Any thoughts or experiences with any of the ones mentioned above please feel free to comment. Thank you.

I run the MR quick draw and use it on both my Metcalf and Pop Up 28 and have had no issues. I do carry my rifle muzzle down so it doesn't catch tree limbs as much. That makes it ride different which probably accounts for why I don't have issues with my rifle rolling off my shoulder. If I were to carry it muzzle up I could see the whole sliding off the shoulder issue popping up.

I have one as does my wife she loves it I absolutely hate it I would guess it probably has more to do with rifle size she carries a Camilla I carry a 9 lug accumark

I have the gun bearer and love it. A buddy who saw mine wanted one but accidentally bought the MR one and hated it. It seemed less secure and more fidgety than my gun bearer.

+1 for the Kifaru. It did take some getting used to, but once I got used to the mechanics of it all it would take a significant amount of coaxing to get me away from it.

+1 for the Kifaru. It did take some getting used to, but once I got used to the mechanics of it all it would take a significant amount of coaxing to get me away from it.

I have 3 now for different packs. Once I figured out the logistics of it, used it and got use to no longer carrying a rifle on my shoulder I will never go back. Hands free rifle carry and the ability to use trekking poles, ease of access to rifle, quick shouldering for a shot is something that most take for granted. As with my own personal business and products "Sometimes it's the most simple products that make the biggest difference in our daily lives or hobbies". Shoulder slings are the industry standard and like anything else "if it aint broke, don't fix it" BUT the Kifaru in my eyes has changed the game for rifle carry (at least in my eyes and my method of hunting/scouting in the field).

I have a kifaru universal gun bearer that I run on an alps pack. I had a major canting issue with it at first and hated it. I slid the belt strap as close as I could next to the side of my pack and that fixed the problem for me. I've used it on some pretty rough stuff including a couple falls and slides down steep hills since then and it held very stable. I thought the barrel under the arm pit would be awkward as well but I don't even notice it anymore.

I have 3 now for different packs. Once I figured out the logistics of it, used it and got use to no longer carrying a rifle on my shoulder I will never go back. Hands free rifle carry and the ability to use trekking poles, ease of access to rifle, quick shouldering for a shot is something that most take for granted. As with my own personal business and products "Sometimes it's the most simple products that make the biggest difference in our daily lives or hobbies". Shoulder slings are the industry standard and like anything else "if it aint broke, don't fix it" BUT the Kifaru in my eyes has changed the game for rifle carry (at least in my eyes and my method of hunting/scouting in the field).
Plus works great on hands and knees for pronghorn . . .

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back