My son's first deer. Nov 10th, '08

T Bone

My son's first season has been frustrating with way too much snow! So much snow that many of the roads have been closed to access the public areas.

This afternoon we walked and climbed to get to a open slope where the sun had melted off the snow. From the freeway, we could see the deer were thick in the openings with our binos.

We ended up 150 yards from a nice buck that had no clue that we were there, and Nathaniel was just settling in to squeeze the trigger.....The buck started chasing does and ended up running a doe within 10 yards of us! Nathaniel shifted positions, the deer bolted. They hesitated at about 150 yards and his .308 cracked. Smack! Definate hit!

The buck follows the escaping doe another 100 yards or so and he stands broadside looking at us. Crack!. Smack!

He jumps, runs a 20 yard circle, painting the hillside red, then disappears from view behind some deadfall.

I was watching the whole thing through my bino's and was certain he was down. I was very much impressed with the trigger man behind the single shot .308. He was cool under pressure!

We watch for a while to see if any deer pop's up, then I give the green light to go find him. Nathaniel charges up the hill with new found adrenaline.
pb103671.jpg

I trail my son silently with a smile as he searches frantically, until he crosses the yard wide blood trail, then follows to find the buck.
pb103672.jpg

Great buck from the Black Hills! Unique split browtines.

pb103674.jpg

That right there is what it is all about! Congrats to the both of you and BIG congrats to your son on his first one. A smile a mile wide says it all.

Great first deer,congratulations to both of you.Smart son you got there,holding the ears back to make the rack stand out better.

That smile says it all. I bet there was a pretty big smile on the other side of the camera also. Congrats!!!!!!!!! :D:D:D

Great first buck (way better than my first) and the smile he has really says it all. Congrats to both of you.

T,

Congrats to you and your son. A very nice buck, and the Browtines are cool.

How do you guys count in S.Dakota? Like we do in the West or like the cheaters back East?

T-Bone, congrats to your son. nice bcuk he got. proud papas make it all worthwhile in the story telling.

Congratulations T Bone to you and your son. I remember all 3 of my son's 1st deer it's the same smile :) Got to love it when that light goes on.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back