My labor day scouting.

Elkmagnet

The wife and I went up to do some labor day scouting and hang some trail cams this weekend. We were overflowing with anticipation so at 5pm on Friday we started the 6hr drive.

Here is camp on Sat. Walmart tent+rain = unhappy wife

IMG_0002_zpsb424f214.jpg

My wife is the reason I ended up with a wall tent--- got tired of laying on the ground and dealing with the wet walls...

How did the scouting go?

After doing our typical trail stand/cam duty we went and made a few setups in between rain storms. All total this weekend we made 11 calling setups in good country that we know holds elk without hearing one squeak or mew.

We did however have three bulls come in totally silent.

Im confused? Were you hunting or scouting? Either way hope you had a good time! Rainstorms and cheap tents are no fun! haha.

My wife is the reason I ended up with a wall tent--- got tired of laying on the ground and dealing with the wet walls...

I was going to buy a wall tent anyway--the wife's uncomfortability (is that a word?) just gave me the cover to do so without getting yelled at.

On all of our setups except for one we set Crystal up as the down wind "shooter". Well all three of the bulls came to me without fail. This happens every year.
So on our last setup of sunday we went to a great spot not 50yds over a rise from a main road its the same setup where I harvested my bull last year.
Last years bull that I was to lazy to post up.
1154ps_zps89df7fa6.jpg

So we setup with crystal as the "shooter" 75yd down wind and I start calling. Well at this point in the trip my knees are killing me and I ended up giving her our signal for "lets go" after only 15min or so. Just after she gets up I catch movement up the hill so I let out a Quick mew. Luckily this is not crystals first rodeo and she knows when I start calling again to hit the deck and pick her favorite arrow from the quiver. Well as soon as I let out that mew that sucker runs off of the hill at full "Its time to party" speed. He was coming but straight at me. No caution, no circling down wind just unbridled teenage enthusiasm. I drew my bow at like 80yd out and closing. Crystal had listened to him coming and knew from where the bull was she was now the "caller" and drew him right past me at 13yd where I called to stop him and let it fly.

IMG_0001_zpsee79ed12.jpg

How did the scouting go?

Cots and a wood stove improve the comfort level dramatically.

Well after the shot he runs about 100yd and stops out in the open to listen to the shotgun of calls being thrown at him. We continue to call as he walks off into the fast approaching darkness. Let me just say that I am in aw of how far this bull traveled before we lost sight of him and we made the very hard decision to go back to camp even tho I knew the arrow had good blood and felt the hit was as good as any I had ever made. But with clear sky's and the image of him walking away we zipped up for a long night.

and. . . . . .???

You're not to lazy to finish the story this year are you? C'mon out with it.

I know not cool. Right?

So after about 3hrs of sleep and me constantly looking out of the tent to make sure I could see the stars I finally made it to the morning. I was too sick to eat so we made it to the spot we had last seen him about 30min before daylight and started tracking. I was lucky that it was so muddy because after an hour of very slow tracking I lost all blood and was following hoof prints. He covered about 3/4 of a mile straight up a hill to a ridge line. But it took us about 4hr to track him to his last bed just below timberline.
IMG_0005_zps3da5ed14.jpg

I was very happy but I also had that oh crap what have I done feeling. Ill explain.
It took all that I had to make it to this elk and we knew that it would be totally up to my wife to take care of an animal and pack it out if we scored on this trip. We usually have a crew of good people up hunting with us when we go for a few weeks in the middle of Sept but not this time. This was just a quick scouting trip. Having done a few solo elk packs my self I know what a chore it is and how it beats you up. Not something you want to put your wife through. She had assured me that she could handle it before we took the trip and I thought she could but didn't want to see her hurt herself. Here is a pic of Crystal taking a rear off of the ridge bone in leg and all. (she insisted it would take too long to bone it or cut the leg off with the pack saw) I disagreed but I was not going to argue with her for fear she would leave my gimpy ass on the hill to eat my elk. I can still hear her 1/4mi away hitting trees with that hoof and cussing.

IMG_0010_zps0980c5fc.jpg

I just want to say thanks to all of the good people who go out of their way to help someone hunt who otherwise wouldn't be able to go. I know these are not the biggest bulls in Idaho but the memories of these hunts are priceless to us I hope you enjoyed the "story".

Last edited:
Great quick write up and congrats on a nice idaho bull. Seems like you have the right mindset in memories over trophies or state records. Plus it's meat in the freezer that is well earned.

Haha, you'll be faking a bum leg every year now! ;)

Way to get it done. Your wife sounds like a very tough woman.

I know not cool. Right?

So after about 3hrs of sleep and me constantly looking out of the tent to make sure I could see the stars I finally made it to the morning. I was too sick to eat so we made it to the spot we had last seen him about 30min before daylight and started tracking. I was lucky that it was so muddy because after an hour of very slow tracking I lost all blood and was following hoof prints. He covered about 3/4 of a mile straight up a hill to a ridge line. But it took us about 4hr to track him to his last bed just below timberline.
IMG_0005_zps3da5ed14.jpg

I was very happy but I also had that oh crap what have I done feeling. Ill explain.
It took all that I had to make it to this elk and we knew that it would be totally up to my wife to take care of an animal and pack it out if we scored on this trip. We usually have a crew of good people up hunting with us when we go for a few weeks in the middle of Sept but not this time. This was just a quick scouting trip. Having done a few solo elk packs my self I know what a chore it is and how it beats you up. Not something you want to put your wife through. She had assured me that she could handle it before we took the trip and I thought she could but didn't want to see her hurt herself. Here is a pic of Crystal taking a rear off of the ridge bone in leg and all. (she insisted it would take too long to bone it or cut the leg off with the pack saw) I disagreed but I was not going to argue with her for fear she would leave my gimpy ass on the hill to eat my elk. I can still hear her 1/4mi away hitting trees with that hoof and cussing.

IMG_0010_zps0980c5fc.jpg

I just want to say thanks to all of the good people who go out of their way to help someone hunt who otherwise wouldn't be able to go. I know these are not the biggest bulls in Idaho but the memories of these hunts are priceless to us I hope you enjoyed the "story".

Nice bull.... I would have brought my gimp azz up and my pack wife too.... :) congrats
Matt

Congrats on a fine bull. Glad you found him and that your better half was there with you to help out.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MontanaPete59102
Back