My first Sea Trout of 2014

devon deer

It took 4 outings and 8 hours but finally got my first Sea Trout of 2014, hooked it at 22.40 hours and landed it 10 minutes later after it had jumped 11 times!
Weighed in at 3lb 2oz
Cheers
Richard

Hope you keep the successes rolling. What is the reason that traditionally sea trout are a night time event? When out for sea trout are you wading in the stream or bank fishing only? Headlight in use?

Are Sea Trout a separate species, or do rainbows and browns both make a sea run? (Had to make an edit there, my fathers side of the family always add "German" to brown trout, and I know that modifier could tend to sour Englishman to the phrase!)

That's real dedication to the sport Richard; nice looking fish. I'm assuming they come up the rivers to spawn as salmon do.
Yep, the bigger fish at the start of the season then smaller what we call 'peal' enter the river in July, they spawn in November/December

Hope you keep the successes rolling. What is the reason that traditionally sea trout are a night time event? When out for sea trout are you wading in the stream or bank fishing only? Headlight in use?

Are Sea Trout a separate species, or do rainbows and browns both make a sea run? (Had to make an edit there, my fathers side of the family always add "German" to brown trout, and I know that modifier could tend to sour Englishman to the phrase!)

Our Sea Trout are very shy creatures, fish for them in my river in the day and you will scare them to death!
I have seen a large shoal and we have cast a fly at them during the day only to see a great big circle appear where they once were holding.
If the river is slightly coloured after rain you can can them during the day.
My river is very civilised, we fish from the bank, the only time we put the flashlight on is to change flies or unhook a fish, get light on the river and it can ruin the fishing.
Sea Trout and brown trout are the same species (salmo trutta), it's just for some reason some of the brown trout decide to run back to sea and return to spawn.
We don't have any indigenous rainbows, and none in the rivers i fish although they do in the 'posh' rivers in Hampshire.
Don't mention the Germans!

Cheers

Richard

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sbaker
Back