My first pack, wanting some opinions.

rmauch20

I am looking at buying my first pack and wanting some opinions on a couple. This would be primarily for an elk trip this fall that the details are still pending on. It’s a friend of a friend type deal but hopefully can make it work.
The first one is the Slumberjack Bounty 4500/2.0. My main concerns are comfort while under weight, durability, is 4500cubic inches large enough for a 5-7 day trip.
Second is the Eberlestock J34 Just one Pack. Same questions as above on this one. I do like the gun scabbard on this one a little better.

I have zero pack buying or pack experience and I understand both of these options are in the budget pack category.

I would also be interested in hearing what other people suggest. I've been outfitting my brother with some gear to go on some backpacking trips with me and have been trying to do it on a budget. Just a thought and others might disagree but you may find a pack like a Gregory Stout to be better than that Slumberjack pack.

IMO, 4500ci is not big enough for a hunt that long unless you'll be packing quite a bit of the stuff on the outside of the pack.

I prefer the Kifaru Gunbearer over a scabbard type system.

I agree with Luke, try them out with a load if you have that option. Of course your budget can have a lot to do with your selection.

If interested in an Eberlestock Blue Widow, I have one I will be selling. I used it sparingly for a 2015 elk trip (spent more time on horses and needed the pack on limited basis). Our next trip will definitely require mostly time with boots on the ground, so I am switching packs to a Kuiu Icon Pro 5200. Little lighter and highly recommended by a couple of friends for our plans. The Eberlestock carried well (max load I had in it was ~60#), but the Kuiu fits me better. Plus the Icon's frame easily can be used with other size packs while keeping the meat shelf capabilities. I have picked up the 1850 for a day pack.

Don't have any experience with the Slumberjack packs.

Whether or not 4500 cubic inches is enough for 5-7 days is largely a function of the other gear you own. For me I can do 5-7 days in 4500 cubic inches with moderate weather conditions because of the fact I have a sleeping bag, thermarest, tent and cooking system whose combined weight is in the sub 7 lb range and I know I can eat on about 20-25 oz of food a day. Just given the fact you are trying to get by on a $300 pack instead of $600 I'm guessing that isn't the case.

The Eberlestock rifle scabbard feel's like you are wearing a halloween costume with a dinosaur tail on the whole time. I see it as wasted weight for minimal functionality.

If you aren't going to spend Mystery Ranch, Kuiu, Stone Glacier, Exo or Kifaru pack money I think you are better off just buying or borrowing a nice REI type backpack and carrying the meat out inside the pack with trash bags. I went around for 2 years out west trying to cut corners with other cheaper packs before I became convinced that a good dedicated pack was worth it. I would have saved money buying a mystery ranch or similar pack the first time out.

"The Eberlestock rifle scabbard feel's like you are wearing a halloween costume with a dinosaur tail on the whole time. I see it as wasted weight for minimal functionality."

That was a great way to describe it, I bust out laughing when I read that. I look into the REI and Gregory stout packs. Unfortunately western Kansas doesn't have a lot of backpacking type stores around. So this might be a purchase I will have to make without getting to physically put hands on them.

Stone Glacier just came out with a new model frame and a lot of folks are going to be switching to the new model so there are already some really good deals showing up on their used models.

http://www.rokslide.com/forums/roks...acier-solo-frame.html?highlight=stone+glacier

Right there is a heck of a deal on a pack that costs $600ish new. The Solo is only 3,300 cubic inches, but with the load shelf you can add 2,000 cubic inches easily. I've carried 100+ lb loads with mine with no issues.

I'm actually toying around with the thought of selling my Stone Glacier and upgrading to the new version. I do like their newest bag that they have out, and the new frame is supposed to be an improvement, but the current setup is VERY good.

I went from a $50 pack my first year elk hunting to an eberlestock J34 the next year and then Stone Glacier three years ago. Each has been an improvement. I think any of the big name packs are going to do well.

Good luck.

I've done 5 days with 4500 before.

Look at the Seek Outside packs before u make a decision.

HD

Stone Glacier just came out with a new model frame and a lot of folks are going to be switching to the new model so there are already some really good deals showing up on their used models.

http://www.rokslide.com/forums/roks...acier-solo-frame.html?highlight=stone+glacier

Right there is a heck of a deal on a pack that costs $600ish new. The Solo is only 3,300 cubic inches, but with the load shelf you can add 2,000 cubic inches easily. I've carried 100+ lb loads with mine with no issues.

I'm actually toying around with the thought of selling my Stone Glacier and upgrading to the new version. I do like their newest bag that they have out, and the new frame is supposed to be an improvement, but the current setup is VERY good.

I went from a $50 pack my first year elk hunting to an eberlestock J34 the next year and then Stone Glacier three years ago. Each has been an improvement. I think any of the big name packs are going to do well.

Good luck.

Yes, that's a very good deal. You should only get the frame though, I'm trying to snag the bag.

My son and I bought used EXO 3500 packs on rokslide.com classifieds and used them on a 6 day Colorado elk hunt. They worked great, however, we didn't dirty the packs with any blood, unfortunately.

We got them for about $400 with a few options. The main bag is 3500 CI, including the lid. The addition of the cargo shelf ads 1500 - 2000 CI. The pack also collapses way down and they became day packs. We pack into an area, then hunt out of a spike camp. Only one trip back to the truck was done for additional food supplies, which was planned to lighten the load on the first bigger gear load.

On Bowsite.com, I posed the question about a "One Pack that Does ALL and got a LOT of responses. A guy that goes by kotaman is a wealth of information and has owned and used about every pricey pack in existence in places like Alaska! He has put them through rigorous testing and has opinions about how the pack feels to him, durability, cost, personal fit, hipbelts, etc.

There are also youtube videos that show how an EXO 3500 works, how to load it, etc. I viewed a couple of really good ones before I made the purchase.

The Kifaru Gun Bearer is where it's at! Bought one last year and love it. Pobably going to upgrade my turkey vest to allow me to use it this spring. Game changer!

You should also check out the Horn Hunter Full Curl system. Not an ultralight pack by any means but seems well built and well priced for what you get (around $350 I believe). My brother helped me pack out an elk this fall with this pack and said it worked good (as good as 100lb loads can get I guess). If money wasn't an issue I'd go with a Stone Glacier. Love my Solo.

For what it's worth I have hunted with an eberlestock F1 the last 3 seasons with a gun scabbard and never felt like I had a "dinosaur tail" and actually I think it's a very effective way to carry your gun.

Have also used a stone glacier that belonged to my friend and liked it also.

If you have little to no previous backpack hunting experience, I seriously doubt you can get all your gear and food inside a 4500 pack. Unless you are going somewhere warm and you have really high quality, lightweight and small gear for your tent, sleeping bag, pad, insulating layers. Look up the Exo YouTube clips about what their owners and pro-staff take on a trip. It will help you for sure.

For reference, I run a Seek Outside Unaweep 4800 and mostly hunt Idaho and Montana in September and October, rarely backpacking if the temp is below 25 degrees. As others have said, it is worth every penny to get a really high quality pack. Mystery Ranch, Exo, Seek Outside, Kifaru and Stone Glacier. I have known too many guys with broken Kuiu carbon frames to recommend them.

If the budget requires a different pack, use REI to order a few high volume packs made by Osprey and Gregory. Put all your gear in each one and test them out for capacity and comfort. Return all but your favorite. I have a buddy who scored a really nice Osprey for $180 this year. He took half a mule deer out with no problems.

In the same boat, looking for my first hunting pack and unfortunately the don't seem to be a lot of places around Eastern Nebraska that has the highly recommended packs to try on. Any advice for someone in this position? I really prefer to try my stuff on before buying.

Also, those of you who use/pack spotters regularly, how important is a side pocket for this purpose? I'm looking at the Metcalf and it doesn't look like it has a side pocket for this purpose, can anyone confirm?

Any and all advice welcome!

You should also check out the Horn Hunter Full Curl system. Not an ultralight pack by any means but seems well built and well priced for what you get (around $350 I believe). My brother helped me pack out an elk this fall with this pack and said it worked good (as good as 100lb loads can get I guess). If money wasn't an issue I'd go with a Stone Glacier. Love my Solo.

I have this pack and love it. I assume there are better ones but this does well for me. I like that I can change the bags around for camping, dayhiking, or meat hauling duties.

My advice would be to look at packs that have fully adjustable suspensions, a frame/stays 3inches above your shoulders, and have a well designed stiff waistbelt.

There are many, many great packs made today that are more than capable of handling 50-60+ lbs. Where the expensive "hunting" type packs excel above, is with really heavy loads. Not many people pack really heavy loads, 90+ lbs over and over. This is hard on the attachment points. Even the cheaper packs can handle that kind of weight occasionly.

For me, the biggest thing is fit for length and being able to adjust the pack to fit lIke a glove.

I have a 6000cu pack, can get 10 days of gear in it and pack out a sheep/deer size animal on the return. Its stuffed on the return, but usually about 80% full going in. I wouldn't go smaller, you can always cinch it down.

Some of the newer packs have a shelf between the frame and pack for meat. You can always make two trips too...

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back