MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

My Colorado Mule Deer

OZapo1986

Well I've been back from my 2016 Colorado 2nd season hunt for 2 days now and I'm already getting excited looking forward to planning next year's trip. It was quite warm for the 3rd week of October this year. I was really hoping for colder temps and a little snow but instead we were hunting in t-shirt weather for most of the trip. It did rain on Tuesday and the temp stayed around 40 for much of the day. My hunting partner and I had high hopes of filling our elk tags this trip but the elk seemed to keep in the dark timber most of the time, we found tons of sign and saw a fair number of elk but we heard more than we saw as they crashed through the brush. Our game plan for this season was to focus on deer and hope we got a chance at an elk. From past experience in the area we knew there were plenty of deer; the only problem was going to be finding decent bucks. Well we hunted hard for 4 days and had a few encounters but its hard to hit a deer when they won't stop in one of a few shooting lanes. On the morning of the 5th day we were pretty beat and nearly slept in, sure glad we didn't because we each filled our buck tags just before the sun came up that morning. We aren't trophy hunters and we would have preferred to have doe tags just to get some meat in the freezer but it is nice to have something to hang on your wall to bring back the memories down the road. Every year is a trip of a lifetime wether we are successful of not and this year was no different. The season has just ended this year but we are already talking about next year. Best of luck to everyone that still has a tag in their pocket and a season to hunt!

Deer 2016.jpgdeer 2016 (2).jpgDeer 2016 (3).jpg
This deer surprised us when we were getting ready to dress my deer so my buddy used my gun.

One of my most fun hunts and double ups like this came in an almost identical fashion, only in North Carolina and turkey hunting! Love the chocolate rack on yours. Seems to carry it's mass all the way to the tips. Very cool character. Congrats to you both.

Congrats! I was out at the same time and you are right it was tough. Glad to see you were able to fight through. Nice bucks.

Back