Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

My Alberta Buck

gunslinger

Fellas heres a big old buck i was lucky enough to harvest here 5 miles from my house.
This story was in the big buck mag.

THE SLINGER BUCK.

Garry here is a little write up about my buck I shot in the fall of 2007.

Up until November 2007 my luck was on a high as being successful on a stone sheep hunt in northern British Columbia and a Dall sheep hunt in the Yukon with my brother Brian , but what was about to happen to me in the November whitetail season I was totally unprepared for.
As a whitetail hunter all my life I have never had the opportunity to harvest a quality trophy buck, actually only ever seeing one of them that I thought was book deer, having harvested lots of 140-150 class whitetails that were all trophies to me.
As work would allow it I was able to take all of November off which was really exciting for me , as this for sure was goanna be the year for me to harvest a big buck of a lifetime.
I hooked up with my hunting partner Luke who was also shut down for November, so as Luke and i began our year, we started out by showing each other our new hunting spots we had found, some smaller bucks were found but not any dandies in the early season.
Agriculture fields bordering big bush were looking good and the rut started taking place around the 20th of November in our area and by the time the 24th come around the bucks were moving good looking for hot does.
We decided to concentrate on the one area that my friend Lyle had harvested a real dandy out of, we knew there were good bucks around but had no idea what was in store for us.
The morning of the 26th was no different than the last five days, a cold crisp Alberta morning, as we sipped our coffee on our way to our favorite area, as we neared the area we stepped across the cattle guard opened the gate and onto a turkey trail for our last descent to this cut line that we like to have a look down, when all of a sudden Luke says, wow slinger (my nickname since my name is pat garret they call me gunslinger) there is a huge buck, as I stared off to my left there was the biggest whitetail buck I have ever seen in my 17 years of hunting whitetails. He was standing along the bush line and with the angle we had I knew he was a dandy even from 350 yards out. Even with the huge body of the rutting deer the horns were still very noticeably big.
With excitement in my voice I said go ahead and take him Luke, Luke looked back at me in his calm manner and says, he’s a little out of my range slinger you go ahead and take em. Before he even got the words out of his mouth I think I was onto a branch for a steady rest. After a couple deep breaths I slowly squeezed the trigger, my 30-06 barked as the buck turned, I shot again, the buck vanished, looking to me like the first bullet was a perfect shot, I turned to Luke and asked how it looked as he was watching through his binos, he says you for sure hit him with the first shot.
As the buck vanished into the bush with me not knowing if I made a lethal shot or not, excitement and curiosity took over and I had to circle around to look for the buck, heading upwind about 200 yards from where I seen the buck go into the bush I noticed his legs moving in the brush coming right at me, as soon as he stepped into the open and I seen the huge non typical rack I knew it was my buck, I quickly anchored the buck with one more shot, after the buck was down and I walked up to the buck he was bigger than I first expected, he has a huge frame with 6 ½ inch bases and he’s a 8x6 NT.181 inch gross.
After a huge dance and many thank you’s to the good lord I met up with Luke for a congratulations handshake and to tell him I found and harvested the buck, Luke helped me load the trophy of a lifetime and it was off to my parents house to share the excitement with friends and family. I would especially like to thank Luke for being my hunting partner that year and for spotting the trophy of a lifetime for me.

PAT GARRETT.

P1000670.jpg

102_0600.jpg

Thanks for letting me post my trophies guys its alot of fun. my wife comes on most of the hunts with me in this little quest im trying to complete in getting the north american 29, she is the best every wife and my kids are awsome too, heres momma and shelby my daughter helping with tree stands.

mommaandshelbsinthebush.jpg

mommaandshelbsinthebush3.jpg

Holy smokes! This new guy comes out of nowhere and he's dropping pic after pic of amazing animals he killed. Welcome, and thanks a bunch for shaming the rest of us! You certainly have been blessed all around. :eek:

I'd die if I ever got a deer that big, by any means. My quest is smaller, to get every big game animal in Montana. I'm a simple man! Grizzly, Bison, Wolf. That will round it out.

Great looking buck!!! If you don't quit post all these pics, I'm gonna get a jealousy complex... ;)

:eek: If I saw a shed that size... I would pass right by thinking it was a darn TREE dropped by Paul Bunyan himself! Holy smokes that is a PIG! Very nice! :eek:

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back