MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

My 2015 Oregon Coast Spring Bear

Joe Hulburt

I went in to the winter getting a Kinespring implant in my right knee knowing that the recovery was going to be substantial but I figured if I had the surgery in early December I would be ready to go for Spring bear. I had my doubts come the opener on April 1 but I got the job done last evening.

I had hunted hard during the day and was planning to take the evening off but finished my chores with plenty of daylight left to check a spot so I made a made dash for the mountain. I dropped down into my spot and the very second I could look into the basin I saw black on green (my favorite color scheme) and it was game on.

I recently purchased a video recorder with hopes of getting some hunts on film and got it rolling right away. I can say that is sure is frustrating trying to film yourself hunting! I have to wear my glasses to see the viewfinder but can't use my binoculars with them so I am constantly switching them off and on.

The bear was at 450 yards when I first spotted him and I have been dialing in my Winchester Model 70 Extreme Weather .308 out to 550 and I knew i could make that shot if I needed to but couldn't see the bear well enough to know if I wanted to pull the trigger with 3 weeks of season left so I moved in a little closer while he bumbled along a nice big flat.

When I was at 425 yards I decided he was just what I was looking for. I centered him in the viewfinder and laid down to take the shot. Unfortunately Mr Bear fed out of view a few seconds before you hear the safety click off.....:eek:

The bear folded at the shot and all I could see was paws in the air. He never took a step nor made a sound. My best kill shot ever on a bear and over 4 times as far as I've ever shot one. I've been shooting 165 grain Accubonds this year and I am sold after that display.

He has a really nice jet black hide on him and he's a solid mature boar. I am very thankful to have the ability to get after them again and managed to pack him out of the hole with out much trouble from the bum knee. :)

I have the video edited and I'm trying to load to Youtube. With a little luck I will post it here soon too...

Dandy! Nice vid, and good shooting!

Where do you guys start finding color phase bears in Oregon?

Thanks!

NE Oregon has a lot of them as does the south coast. I think I will apply for the Weneha Spring tag next year. My buddy killed a really pretty chocolate over there last year.

Excellent vid, really enjoyed that :) Shame he wouldn't stay still for the shot.

Looked like a beautiful Oregon evening for a hunt. I lived in Coos Bay for a summer and spent some time in the Elliot State Forest, fantastic place.

Super job on the knee recovery and the bear! I've seen very few black bears in the wild and those I did see where in heavy timber near a bait station. Watching him mosey around and munching grass was quite a trip. Thanks for posting the video.

What's next a rug or a mount?

I already have a 3/4 mount bear watching over the kitchen and a tanned hide on the wall of my office and one folded up in a closet. I think this guy is going to Texas with my buddy that lives down there. He would make an excellent rug but I have high hopes of having an elk taxidermy bill this fall and no real room for a rug....until I get a color phase bear. ;)

Super job on the knee recovery and the bear! I've seen very few black bears in the wild and those I did see where in heavy timber near a bait station. Watching him mosey around and munching grass was quite a trip. Thanks for posting the video.
I love watching bears any chance I can get. One thing I really liked in this video is how he sniffed all the stumps and only touched one and he tore it apart. Apparently they can smell a ripe bug infested stump.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shooterwallace78
Back