My 2005 Bison - Story & Pictures

Elkhunter

Well I had the day off from work and decided to hit the hills and look for my bison. Went out and got the horse and headed out. After getting to where I was going to and saddled up it was about 11:30 in the morning and still relatively cool. Rode in about 1 1/2 miles and hit the Park Boundary and turned around and headed back just west of the way I went in, going from knob to knob and looking down the hillsides. Got up on the biggest hill and spotted a bison. Felt pretty certain it was a lone bull and rode on down by him. He got up and I knew it was a bull, and the horse wanted no part of this critter. He backed up, nostrils flared and wanted out of there really bad. There was no place to tie him up so I rode back up near the top of the hill I was on and tied him up. On the way back up I saw another one and this one was even bigger. After tying up the horse and grabbing my Marlin 45/70 out of the scabbard,headed down after the bigger of the two. He quickly got up and headed back into Teton park where he knew he was safe. I then proceeded over to the other one and was able to get within about 30 yards of him when he started to get nervous and wanted out of there. The Marlin let out a big bang and the SOB took off over the hillside. When I got to where he was I could easily see that he was hit good. I went over to the edge and saw him laying down, a couple hundred yards below me. As I started down, I came across some boundary markers and thought for sure he ended up in Teton park. I called and spoke the Teton Park dispatch who put me through to the ranger that would be coming up to verify that he was indeed shot in the forest. I had to ride out and meet him at my truck and describe where the animal was. He took the low way and I went back up on top of the hills so he could locate me. He saw where I was at and headed in on an old road which brought him to within 400-500 yards of my bison. He called me again to see where I was at and I could see his vehicle and told him which way to go and we met at the bison. The boundary took a sharp turn and actually went straight down from where I saw the other markers, so he was actually still in the NF when he went down. He did grant me permission to use the road that he was on to get it out of there though. In the meantime I was trying to locate help and Michele was calling everyone she could think of, a couple of outfitters, tag & drag, other friends and no luck at all.
After going through 3 knives skinning and boning one side of this beast and loading it in my saddle panniers, I made it out at 6:45, talking to Del all the way out while I was walking (note to Moosie, Del answers his phone). Well I went back in this morning and started the process all over again. A friend called me after I got up there and asked for directions so he could come and help me. What a relief that was. Four knives and 8 hrs later we were done. The head and hide were an absolute bitch to move and the horse refused to drag it as it pulled the saddle nearly off. We ended up getting another hunter who had an ATV to drag the head and hided out for me. I was able to back my truck up to a bank and lower the tailgate so we could roll it in. It took all the three of us had to move the head and hide. It was then time for a nice cold Bud which went down Oh So Smooth. There you have it and the pictures are below.

This is the bison when I first spotted him. I zoomed it in and cropped the picture on this one.
Buff%202%2010-15-2005.JPG

This is the same picture uncropped and not zoomed in at all.
DSC01842.JPG

This is where he ended up, couldn't get much closer to the Park Boundary which is right behind him. This is about 200 yards from where I shot him.
DSC01843.JPG

A little closer shot of him. Hors are 16" long and has 16" bases.
DSC01844.JPG

DSC01845.JPG

The trail of blood and meat behind my ass is from the chainsaw when I cut off the head. Cool hat and shirt I have on though.
DSC01847.JPG

Sure could have used your help Moosie.
Buff%2010-15-2005.JPG

(note to Moosie, Del answers his phone).

Moosie does too when you call "HIS" phone and Not his Wifes...... Also, My wife said the Conversation was Something like .."Elkhunter here......... Buffalo..... dead.......... Backpack..........making love to sheep". She didn't catch much more but I am Curious about the last part ... ;)

Congrats again :D

Did anyone else notice that he shot the ugly one?

Congratulations Elkhunter... or should it be Elk/BuffaloHunter...??

:cool:

He did grant me permission to use the road that he was on to get it out of there though.

ended up getting another hunter who had an ATV to drag the head and hided out for me.

is from the chainsaw when I cut off the head.

4-wheelers, driving up to it, Chainsaws, Rangers........ MAN, That doesn't sound like you needed any help, although it would ahve been fun just to have that ewxperience....

Hors are 16" long and has 16" bases

What... was 16" long ?

(Only pokin' fun Cuz I know you'd do the same to me.. BUUUahahah )

You mountin' that bad boy ?

was that a special draw you put in for to get the tag or ?????

awesome critter for sure--way to go---chris

Moosie, don't know how I would hve gotten the head & hide out without an ATV.
Cutting Bison 101 by Huskervana (sp)............Only way to go.
Had he not told me about that road, i would have had to go uphill for a 3/4 mile to catch the next road. :D Don't think my horse would have been too happy about that, not that he is very happy with me now anyway.
And Hors should be Horns, I mispelled it on purpose just for Moosie.

Chris, In Wyoming you have to apply and they have a draw. Depending on what your # is after the drawing depends on if you will get a tag. For instance, they were issuing 20 resident bull tags and my # was #15 this year. last year i was # 800 and something. So this year was my lucky year. If you decide not to do the hunt, then they contact #21. The tag was $321 (resident) and it is for the Grand Teton National Park herd, but they have to be out of the park and onto NF land.

Buzz, I have dealt with many an elk and a couple of moose and dealing with this was by far the hardest. Not the packing out, but just dealing with it. I am very thankful to have experienced it and that I had a great opportunity to do a different hunt.

Here is a picture of the recovered bullet. I was using Federal ammunition with 300 grn Sierra Pro Hunter HP FN in 45/70. The weight of my recovered bullet is 196.5 grn. Went in behind the left sholder and was just barely against the hide on the right side.

DSC01849.JPG

Congrats!! That's a good looking bison! You don't have buffalo hippees to contend with?? No fair!

Way to go Bill. Now that is a lot of meat. Sounds like nothing a guy wants to do too far from a road. :D

Thats friggn awesome!!! Congrats!

A good friend of my dads took a bison in MT the last year they had the hunt. He to used a chain saw for that fine detailed "butchering" ya just can't get to with a knife! :D

Greeny, yeah we do, just not as many as you have up there in proportion to hunters. They want to open up the elk refuge for hunting them also, but the buff lovers have halted that. Most of the bison here stay in Teton park or on the refuge.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohiochuck
Back