Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Mule Deer & Whitetail Deer In Alaska!!!!!

Nightwolf

Mule deer, mountain lion sightings reported in Alaska

The Associated Press

Published: August 8th, 2005
Last Modified: August 8th, 2005 at 12:53 PM

FAIRBANKS, Alaska (AP) - Interior residents are reporting varieties of wildlife that are new to the region, including mule deer, mountain lions and whitetail deer.

The most recent mule deer sighting came last week when woodsman Bur Lydic told the Alaska Department of Fish and Game he saw a young male mule deer standing in a ditch along the Alaska Highway.

"I got to look at it long enough that it turned and walked away from me and I saw the mule deer tail," Lydic said.

Longtime state wildlife biologist Steve DuBois says he has received reports of several mule deer sightings in the Delta Junction area over the years.

"We've had mule deer sightings in the area ever since I've been in Delta," said DuBois. "It's unusual but not unprecedented."

Mule deer have been reported from Chena Hot Springs Road to Salcha to Tenderfoot Mountain to the Delta agriculture project to Dry Creek, about eight miles north of Dot Lake, the same area where Lydic saw one on Aug. 1.

Lydic recalled finding mule deer tracks on the Salcha Ski Trails sometime in the 1980s. He tried to track the animal but never saw it.

"I even took some scat in to Fish and Game," he said.

The mule deer seen in Alaska likely come from the Yukon Territory, where there is an established population around Whitehorse, scientists said.

Biologists don't know how many mule deer there are in the Yukon but there are indications the population is on the rise, said Yukon wildlife biologist Rick Farnell. A survey a few years ago around Whitehorse turned 200 deer.

"We had no idea there were that many," Farnell said.

Mule deer are protected in the Yukon and there is no hunting for them, though that could change if the population keeps growing, Farnell said.

The fact that mule deer have not established themselves in the Interior points to a possible lack of winter food. Scientists think the deep snows make it hard for mule deer to forage.

Mule deer are not the only invasive game animal reported in the eastern Interior.

There also have been a handful of whitetail deer sightings around Whitehorse and two have been killed on the road, confirming their presence in the Yukon, Farnell said.

And biologists have heard about several mountain lion sightings in Tok and Delta Junction, though none have been confirmed.

According to the reports, mountain lions have been spotted on top of Donnelly Dome, on Clearwater Road, and in the Delta agriculture project, and one was glimpsed near Dot Lake between Delta and Tok.

The large cats were suspected, but never confirmed, in the Yukon until four years ago, when a dead mountain lion was found in an abandoned vehicle in Watson Lake, 300 miles south of Whitehorse.

The emaciated cougar evidently climbed into the vehicle and starved to death, Farnell said.

Prior to the finding, cougar sightings in the Yukon were "treated like Sasquatch sightings," he said.

Now, mountain lions are listed as an indigenous species in the Yukon. Firefighters battling a fire near Eagle last year reported seeing a mountain lion near Eagle Creek, Lydic said.

I think this is great!!! in about 20 years our so you may not have to leave Alaska to hunt mulies or whitetails. It's wonderful how nature works. Alaska may soon have all of the north American big species. not breaking it down into sub species like the different type of moose and turkeys and what not. This is exciting news for Alaska hunters.

not so fast...I once posed the question of importing whaitetails to AK to a biologist friend of mine. His answer was that it could cause localized crashes of some moose populations. Reasons:1) Whitetails and moose would occupy and thus compete for the same habitat--cover and food plants; 2) Whitetails are known carriers of a brain parasite that they are resistant to but that moose are not. It is transmitted via the mucous membranes and saliva; 3) Whitetails would in some areas temporarily increase the ungulate biomass thereby causing a spike in predator populations. The thinking is that the deer would get wise to the increased predation as the biomass simulatneously leveled off. Leveling off to make room for deer means a reduction of moose on the same range. Additionally, it is believed that wolves in particular would key in on moose further skewing the balance in favor of the deer.

However, Alaska is geting warmer and they could just be migrating in response to th aclimate change. If they establish themselves here on they're own without interfernece than thats a whole new situation.

Either way interesting article

Erik- you really know how to piss in a mans wheaties you know!! how come the deer in Maine, Idaho and what not do fine with whitetail. is it cause they are a different brand on moose aka shirus and what not? the way i look at it those animals naturally migrating is cool. just like how the caribou heards are shifting and there are reports of the them coming into fairbanks.

Dude that's what the guy who studies ungulates for a living told me. I'm not pissing on anything of yours. I'm advising caution--North America's wildlife history is riddled with stories of introduced species wreaking havoc with native populations. For me its a classic case of be care what you wish for...

The deer in Maine are whitetails and as far as I know whitetails get along pretty good with other whitetails. ;) As far as compatability is concerned, there are several studies from Idaho and other western states that show mule deer numbers declining wherever whitetails get a foothold in muley habitat.

Caribou herds shifting their migration patterns (for reasons known only to caribou) has no bearing on the potential impact of whitetails on moose in AK. For me whitetail hunting is an airplane ride and a stay at a buddy's house away. I'd rather leave well enough alone as far as Alaska is concerned, thats all.

oops. i meant the moose and whitetail gettign along together you know that whole brain parasite thing. i'm just curious. i'm knoking you in any way thats good info. it's just one of those cases of haveing the best of all worlds that is appealing. But it not worth it if it is going to cause problem definatly not!!!

A question.. The article refers to "muledeer tracks" being seen at various locations. How do you tell a mule deer track from a Blacktail track or a whitetail track? Is it possible that what these folks are seeing is just a color phase of blacktail? They are traditionally smaller, but structurally about the same. Don't know, but curious...

:cool:

You raise a good point Dan. I read somewhere that taxonomically, mulies are descended from blacktails, and from what I'm hearing Blacktails are expanding their range up here. A big-footed blacktail is a possibility but IMHO, a moose calf is more than likely the maker of the so-called muley track

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Djulson
Back