Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Mule Deer - Which State

Windlaker

We currently do our Mule Deer hunts in SD. We are looking to take a second trip "Out West" next year.
We are kicking around NW Nebraska, or SW ND. Read online reports, some saying each area sucks, and each area is great.

Looking for any feedback you may have.

Thanks in advance.

ND is drawing only for archery for NR assuming that's what your talking about. Why not Montana?

Don't want to drive all the way to Oregon...we're from Wisconsin.

Have just started doing our research after Christmas. Started with NE & ND due to drive time and license cost.

Wyoming and Montana were down (but not off) our list only because of the drive time and POSSIBLY altitude. We'd do the extra drive for a good hunt.

We're in our mid 50's. I've had 2 knee replacements, and my buddy was in a crash a few years back. A high altitude / Rocky Mountain hunt is most likely out of our "Age Range".

Keep the feedback coming.

WindLaker

Montana or Wyoming with Montana getting my vote.

I've done the Nebraska thing, it was tough and lots of people unless you have some private ranch to hunt.
I have a feeling ND and SD will both have reduced tag numbers after this winter, lots of snow and some extremely cold temps.

Montana or Wyoming with Montana getting my vote.

I've done the Nebraska thing, it was tough and lots of people unless you have some private ranch to hunt.
I have a feeling ND and SD will both have reduced tag numbers after this winter, lots of snow and some extremely cold temps.

From the ND G&F newsletter/website: "The North Dakota Game and Fish Department will have 382 any-deer bow licenses available to nonresidents in 2017. The number of Nonresident "Any" archery deer tags are based on the previous year's allotment of total resident mule deer tags. The number of nonresident North Dakota any-deer bow licenses available is 15 percent of the previous year’s mule deer gun license allocation. The ND Game and Fish Department issued 2,550 mule deer licenses in the 2016 deer gun license lottery." This is pretty much set in stone, the tags will be allotted whether the deer are there or not...

Yeah, I had called ND Game & Fish and got that number. I asked how many usually apply, and I was told generally between 600-700 apps...so it's about a 50/50 chance.

If your looking for archery you may want to check out Arizona. You can get OTC deer tag good in January, August, and December. There are plenty of big mule deer killed in each of those seasons. Many places you can glass from the road and go in after you spot one.

I'd look at Idaho. Winter kill will likely be an issue this year in some areas of the west, so I'd do some poking around before making a decision.

When does the ND archery season run? When are results announced of the ND draw? Do you want to hunt two states on same drive out West or willing to return weeks or months later?

What is your goal for the tag? Archery/Muzzie/Rifle? Doe? Forkie buck or representative buck or big buck? Hunt on public land on your own or pay for private access or guided?

In WY, there are some deer tags where, if have a guide with horses or if have access to private land, you might consider with aches and pains and no desire to do a lot of vertical climbing at 8000' or higher. Generally, need to have built up points to get a nicer WY deer tag but if have horses or access to private land then the points needed to draw that tag fall towards 0.

MT has the combo tags that for the past several years have had leftovers so is likely an option.

CO has deer landowner tags.

AZ has OTC archery deer tags for mule deer and Coues. You could be hunting Coues right now in 71F sunshine near Tucson.

We are looking at 2 separate trips. Probably the first in mid-to-late Oct/early Nov, and the 2nd trip around Thanksgiving.

We are not"Trophy Hunters"...a representative buck is good, a big buck would be a nice bonus. We want a DIY hunt, public land.

Montana looks really pricy compared to other States, AZ is way too far of a drive.

Looks like a ton of private land in Eastern WY. Do most landowners charge a trespass fee? Where we hunt in SD, we've been lucky so far with very cheap access.

Read online reports, some saying each area sucks, and each area is great.

Your going to hear that about almost every area in every state. Some guys don't mind sharing what a unit is like, and other guys want to talk it down so it doesn't get hyped up. Its up to you to burn your gas, time and boot leather trying to figuring it out, and seeing if what is wrote on the www is true or not.

With that said, you can have a good hunt in just about any western state. I don't know North Dakota or Nebraska, but I suspect its like anywhere, it takes 3 to 4 years to figure things out. But if I ever can afford another state to put in for, ide be putting in for ND if I had to pick from those two options.

Back