Mule Deer Unit 13 New Mexico

lcmcrev

I would appreciate advice on bowhunting mule deer in this unit. The season is JAN 1-15. I have lots of experience bowhunting white tail deer from a treestand in OCT/NOV and elk from the ground in SEPT. I realize that going after muleys in this unit in JAN is a different challenge. Has anyone had success with calling? Can anyone recommend a particular area in this unit? Any tips would be received with gratitude. Thanks in advance!

I pulled the same hunt in 13. Have done alot of hunting in this unit. There are good deer numbers in this area. one of the biggest bucks in NM was taken in the LadronMtns part of the unit. The Datil area has alot of snow by the hunt and Magdelena Mtns usually has less snow. But need a 4x4 to get around in that area if the snow is flying. My best places are around the foot hills on the north side of the Ladrons. There is a wildlife area to the south and they usually get water at the tanks on the forest lands where the cows water. Get the forest service maps that show where the tanks are. The deer are down low by this time and area usually within good walking distance of some forest roads. If you find county road 12 that starts in bernardo and goes on the north side if the unit all the way to riley and then on to the national forest side north of Magdelena. allgood areas. Lots of BLM land to hunt just get the right maps. Good luck! tell me when you gonna go and maybe you might have some company depending on when you get out here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juicer52
Back