Mule Deer Hunting the Rut?

HowaHunter

I am holding an archery tag for deer that runs until the middle of December. I have never hunted Mule deer in the rut with either a gun or bow and I am looking for some advice if any of you professionals on this forum would care to share one or two tips. The area is mostly river bottoms with ag land mixed in. It is fairly thick with trees and vegetation. Are there any scents that can be used? Will rattling or grunting persuade Mule deer to come check it out? Any tips or advice would be great. Thank You.

I've never had much luck with scents or the horns when it comes to Mule Deer. Generally speaking you will want to find the areas with the highest concentration of does since the bucks will be cruising for the last does in estrous. If the weather is cold focus on the crop land as the food source and set up at the choke points which lead to the fields from the thicker cover. If the cropland is private with little to no hunting pressure the deer may not even leave the fields. I have a homemade Muley doe deccoy that worked well for me during the late rut, used it the same way as you would for Whitey's. Good luck

Thanks AntlerKing; I will try to get my hands on a decoy. Any other tips people have to share would be great.
Thanks!

I have hunted the rut during late muzzleloader hunts. I find does and get downwind and above them if I can. I sit and watch. When I spot a shootable buck I place some scent upwind of the deer. ( I try to sneak upwind then use a rock flipper to put scent directly upwind). I have only used 4x4 mule deer by Wildlife Research Center-you can buy it everywhere. I have shot several bucks in self defence using this product.I love it! I am using it again this week in Montana. good luck, let me know what happens.

Hope the tag isn't close to the bottoms around Rexburg. . .they don't know the difference between deer and people up there ;)

Hope the tag isn't close to the bottoms around Rexburg. . .they don't know the difference between deer and people up there ;)

Nope it isn't around there; it is the same side of the state though. Makes you want to be decked out in Hunter Orange while archery hunting.
I found some 4x4 and will give that a try-thanks for that tip.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tbonser94
Back