Mtn Ops vs Wilderness Athlete

Eat real food and workout. It's not rocket science.

I've been weight training for 18 years. supplements and protein "seemed" to work in college when I lived to workout and trained 6 days a week. I stopped taking protein and other supplements 10 years ago and started eating real food for protein with almost zero change in muscle mass. Protein supplements like a protein bar are good when you literally cannot eat food like on a back country hunt. don't use daily protein powder to supply your body with the protein you need. save your money and eat lean meat and don't forget to eat green vegetables daily.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EFJvKTaOnM I think I'd have fun at this class!

I've added MyFitnessPal to help track my diet & workouts and my new smartphone has the S Health app that I'm going to try. They may overestimate calories burned but it's helpful in shaming me from eating destroying an entire plate of chicken wings on Wendnesday.

I was going to mention the Myfitnesspal app, it is great for goal setting. I think most people don't realize how crappy they eat, or they eat things they don't realize are bad for them. You can really get crazy and share your eating habits with others.

I really don't have an issue with WA or MTNOPS. If it gets people out there working out and trying get healthier, I am all for it. Certainly there are going to be those who think all they have to do is drink a shake or take a weight loss pill, but generally speaking I think it helps people feel more invested in getting in shape. #beastmode;)

Personally I don't use supplements and think it's snake oil. That said, I agree with MinnesotaHunter that if it helps you work out and get healthy and you have the coin to spend, more power to you. I do wonder if pre-workout supplements, supposedly helping you push harder, would lead to more overtraining. Listening to your body is so important when training. I've tried to train through injury and have learned the hard way. In a weird way I enjoy sucking wind and suffering up the mountain when trail running.

Not really related but Mtn Ops is really lame marketing. I hate how everything has to be extreme. Rinella talked about it briefly on his latest podcast. Like every hunting ad has dudes crossing raging rivers with a massive elk rack or rappelling out of a helicopter to chase sheep (UA and Kuiu). Seems tied to the bragadouche social media thing. Eat good food, get exercise and go hunt. You don't have to prove anything to anybody except yourself.

I am with most of the people on this topic. I think for less money you can get the same if not a better product. It is all a marketing scheme to get the outdoors people to buy their items. It is the same product with a different label. I do agree that real foods should be the first thought when trying to train but that isn't always the case.

If you actually look at the ingredients you will be really surprised how similar name brand items are to that of the generic brands. But if you want to spend more for a similar or less product by all means you can do that. For me its ON Gold standard whey protein, a good multivitamin and hard work. If you cut out processed food you will surprised in the difference it makes in how you feel.

Just my .02

I think some supplements can definitely compliment a workout routine, and help you see more results. There is certainly a science to it, but from what I have seen protiens, amino acids, fish oils will help your body recover and build on itself quicker when used the right way. That being said they are not a shortcut to anything.

As for preworkout, it certainly could lead to overtraining, and in reality isn't really critical to what most people do. More people end up hurting themselves by going to hard too fast, because they haven't been doing anything, and then they go all out.

I think some supplements can definitely compliment a workout routine, and help you see more results. There is certainly a science to it, but from what I have seen protiens, amino acids, fish oils will help your body recover and build on itself quicker when used the right way. That being said they are not a shortcut to anything.

As for preworkout, it certainly could lead to overtraining, and in reality isn't really critical to what most people do. More people end up hurting themselves by going to hard too fast, because they haven't been doing anything, and then they go all out.

I love BCAA's. They seem to really help with recovery at about 15grams per day.

I do everything all out or not at all, I'm either in or im out. Luckily i've never really hurt myself....yet.

I'll have to give the pre-jym a shot. I've always loved No Xplode. I try others but always seem to end up back at NO Xplode. I like Amino Energy as well, really clean energy for me.

If you listen to podcasts, Jay Scott Outdoors podcast had the founder of w.a on last week. He talked about how it's no secret what is in the different products, but the quality can be night and day. They only use labs associated with making supplements for Olympic athletes so there is no banned ingredients, not that we get tested after a hunt but it shows the quality imo. That being said I don't take a supplement mostly because I am cheap, but I changed my diet after last elk season and continue to work out the same as I have in the past. I am down from about 16% body fat to 12%. I eat something every two hours from when I wake up until 6:30pm. I eat a banana at 5, a breakfast burrito with venison sausage, egg, and salsa around 7:30, a boiled egg midmorning, leftovers from night before and fruit or raw veggies at lunch, almonds midafternoon and grilled or baked meat with veggies for dinner. I have cut back on carbs from enriched flour and cut back on my sugar intake as well. I continue to drink at least a gallon of h2o everyday and more when it is warm out. Nutrionists always say you can't outwork a bad diet and now I wonder what I would have done if my diet had been good when I was competing in organized sport and training multiple times a day.

Eat real food and workout. It's not rocket science.

What?! Real food, no way. How are all these supplement companies going to keep stealing peoples money just because these people believe those supplements work? :eek:

I came out of this winter in better shape than usual, and have been trying to step it up a bi the past month. Decided to see what the hype was about the Mountain Ops products. I ordered a can of Ammo and bottle of an additional supplement. I drink a shake of the Ammo stuff in the AM on my way to work and it carries me well into the early afternoon, and I seem to have plenty of energy for evening workouts and hikes. The other supplement is another story, I was sent the wrong one and left a phone message with the issue and order number as well as contacted them via their website. Been over a week and nothing....crickets, no response. A little pissed about the customer service and will be following up again tomorrow.

Speaking of fitness apps, whose got some good ones? I just started running this year and have been very impressed with Under Armour's map my run. I haven't gone premium with it, but it tracks everything I need so far. Hoping to get a couple buddies on it for that extra motivation we sometimes need.

Scott

I've been sent supplements from every company in the business. With my rare liver condition, nothing funky gets in my blood until I send the label to my docs at the Mayo. That has been a good news/bad news deal.

Bad news - They suggested I refrain from any of these supplements. No craft beer. Low protein diet. Terrible tasting meds that will give you "the trots" like nothing you've ever had.

Good news - My doc gave me the go ahead on a DQ Raspberry Chocolate Truffle Blizzard.

I eat more DQ than any of these folks selling supplement and I bet I shoot as many elk as most of them. Moral of my story, DQ Blizzard is a good supplement if you want to kill a lot of elk.:D And for full disclosure, unlike many folks promoting supplements, I'm not sponsored by DQ, (at least not yet).

I've been sent supplements from every company in the business. With my rare liver condition, nothing funky gets in my blood until I send the label to my docs at the Mayo. That has been a good news/bad news deal.

Bad news - They suggested I refrain from any of these supplements. No craft beer. Low protein diet. Terrible tasting meds that will give you "the trots" like nothing you've ever had.

Good news - My doc gave me the go ahead on a DQ Raspberry Chocolate Truffle Blizzard.

I eat more DQ than any of these folks selling supplement and I bet I shoot as many elk as most of them. Moral of my story, DQ Blizzard is a good supplement if you want to kill a lot of elk.:D And for full disclosure, unlike many folks promoting supplements, I'm not sponsored by DQ, (at least not yet).

You seriously need make a trip to the east central portion of your homeland and secure the most unique sponsor on the sportsmans channel. DQ loves the twinkies, why not love Randy Newburg?

Blizzards rock!

If its out of Utah you can rest assured it will be mostly marketing. Utah is the undisputed king of multi-level marketed, hive-mind, group think products.

Man, this would suck. What about craft beer is different than any other domestic yellow fizzy beer (other than superior flavor or course)?:hump:

Man, this would suck. What about craft beer is different than any other domestic yellow fizzy beer (other than superior flavor or course)?:hump:

What is different? Craft beer is something I was/would be willing to spend money on and I had to give it up. Yellow fizzy beer isn't worth a bucket of donkey piss, so I seldom spent any money on it to start with. So when they told me I had to give up alcohol, it was not a real big issue to give up the yellow fizzy stuff, since I pretty much avoided it after graduating from college, a time in my life when yellow fizzy stuff provided the majority of my nutrients..

Back