Yeti GOBOX Collection

MT FWP Commission - proposals

I hope they also allow the youth hunters and accompying adults to use e bikes to reach those bucks during the 2 day “youth” season. More opportunity because hunting bucks for 11 weeks just isn’t enough time.

Montana has cornered the market on pounding wildlife to a bloody pulp.
Kinda cracks me up as meanwhile in CO we just voted to shorten our 9 day rifle season to 7 days.

Although we have so many elk it really shouldn’t take you more than a weekend.

Shit... this comes as no shock to me. I’m still hopeful for no bag limits and year round seasons. Seems to be where Montana wants to take things.

“It’s all about the youth and boomers”
I would love to laugh at this comment, but it is hard to laugh at something silly that is so close to reality.
I have taken out lots of youth hunters over the years and if some youths parent insists on hunting too we will not be going.

It's a bit frightening when we want the Commission to make decisions vs our State Legislative members... and this is what we receive... and this is better.

The way I understand this it WILL NOT allow the accompanying adult to hunt deer.

As written now the accompanying adult can not hunt anything even if there is an open season.

This change would allow the accompanying adult to hunt any commission approved season that is open. Wolves for example.

The way I understand this it WILL NOT allow the accompanying adult to hunt deer.

As written now the accompanying adult can not hunt anything even if there is an open season.

This change would allow the accompanying adult to hunt any commission approved season that is open. Wolves for example.

@Randy11 explained it to me this way as well. That said, I still have a hard time supporting it.

This makes much more sense. Takes the "WTF" email and turns it to an email requesting assurance this is clearly stated. I do not believe temptation would play any greater role than other day during a hunt season. A shit head father or mentor remains one regardless whether allowed to hunt wolves, 'yotes, etc.
I do believe for a law enforcement angle this restricts enforcement evidence a bit though a gun in the young hand is the same as one in the mentor's.

Last edited:

I’m not a big fan of youth seasons.

I think if we are to have them the adult leading the hunt should not be carrying a weapon, or doing anything but mentoring.

I’m not a big fan of youth seasons.

I think if we are to have them the adult leading the hunt should not be carrying a weapon, or doing anything but mentoring.

Thats the way it is now.

Montana loves its youth seasons and adult entitlement.

I vote for expanding youth season to allow accompanying adults to hunt in limited permit areas. It’s all about opportunity! It would be great for me, for a year....

I vote for expanding youth season to allow accompanying adults to hunt in limited permit areas. It’s all about opportunity! It would be great for me, for a year....
I'm betting you would get a huge amount of support for that idea. mtmuley

How about a special sheep tag for youth and if drawn the parents get a tag as well, or even better parents get to shoot for their kids ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Since we are talking youth, these permits will come out of the existing permit total. The second hardest MD LE permit in the state to draw.

HD 262: Add a 262-52 mule deer permit for youth ages 12-15. Quota 10

Also:

HD 270: Add a 270-51 buck permit. Quota 15 (range 1-50). Special opportunity. Antlers must be 3 points or fewer on one side (not including eye guard). Mandatory check required.

Back