MT BHA Position: Drones have no place in scouting or hunting

katqanna

I dont see it up on their website yet, not national, nor Montana, but BHA just sent out an action email a couple hours ago, asking Montanan hunters to:
URGENT: Montana BHA Needs Your Help!

Drones (unmanned aerial vehicles or UAV's) are expected to fill the skies in the near future, and are already being used for hunting in Texas! Drones equipped with cameras, GPS, and even infrared vision are useful in wildlife research, search and rescue, and land management, however when used for scouting and/or hunting they undermine the very principals of fair chase and BHA.
MT BHA Position: Drones have no place in scouting or hunting.

ACTION: MT BHA NEEDS YOU!
We need your help to implement language crafted by MT BHA that prohibits the use of drones for scouting or hunting in Montana. Attend your local "Hunting Regulations Meeting" in January to educate others and speak up in support of implementing drone regulations (click here to find the meetings in your area), its a pdf of January mtg dates, times and locations.

Background:
MT BHA has been working hard over the last year to alert FWP officials and draft suggested language which will keep drones of Montana scouting and hunting. We have learned that if such technology is not stopped ahead of time it is nearly impossible to control. Imagine a Breaks hunter sitting comfortably in camp flying a drone over your head at sunset to locate that big bull elk in front of you, before the stalk begins early the next day.

MT BHA proposed language change in the regulations are as follows:

Aircraft

The use of unmanned aerial vehicles (UAV) for the purpose of locating, spotting or hunting big game, upland birds or other species under the management authority of FWP during commission-established hunting seasons is prohibited.

Motion-Tracking Devices and/or Camera Devices

The use of unmanned aerial vehicles for the purpose of scouting the location, or relaying information on the movement or location of game animals, birds, or other species under the management authority of FWP during any Commission adopted hunting season is prohibited.

Last edited:
Agree 100 % every state needs to put legislation forth regarding the use of drones. No use period, not even if you are just scouting off-season. It takes away from fair-chase.

katqanna,

I think this problem is already addressed with the rules in place about not using information gained by flying aircraft to hunt the same day. What would be the difference? To be clear I'm not supportive of drone use, just wonder if this is really going to be a problem?

I definitely don't support using them for recreational hunting. Don't most states already have laws that prevent use of aircraft to aid in the taking of big game though?

katqanna,

I think this problem is already addressed with the rules in place about not using information gained by flying aircraft to hunt the same day. What would be the difference? To be clear I'm not supportive of drone use, just wonder if this is really going to be a problem?

Gerald, sorry, I forgot to copy the rest of the email alert that was under the picture (phone call on some research came it and I clearly did not multitask too well). Heres the rest.

Background:
MT BHA has been working hard over the last year to alert FWP officials and draft suggested language which will keep drones of Montana scouting and hunting. We have learned that if such technology is not stopped ahead of time it is nearly impossible to control. Imagine a Breaks hunter sitting comfortably in camp flying a drone over your head at sunset to locate that big bull elk in front of you, before the stalk begins early the next day.

MT BHA proposed language change in the regulations are as follows:

Aircraft

The use of unmanned aerial vehicles (UAV) for the purpose of locating, spotting or hunting big game, upland birds or other species under the management authority of FWP during commission-established hunting seasons is prohibited.

Motion-Tracking Devices and/or Camera Devices

The use of unmanned aerial vehicles for the purpose of scouting the location, or relaying information on the movement or location of game animals, birds, or other species under the management authority of FWP during any Commission adopted hunting season is prohibited.

Here is what I found currently on the MCA books
MCA 46-5-109. Limitations on unmanned aerial vehicles

Last edited:
I definitely don't support using them for recreational hunting. Don't most states already have laws that prevent use of aircraft to aid in the taking of big game though?
I just looked at the MT regs:

Airplane Spotting
Aircraft may not be used to locate big game animals for the purpose of:
• hunting those animals during the same hunting day after a person has been airborne, or
• providing information to another person for the purpose of hunting those animals within the same hunting day after being airborne.

That might cover it, but it could be clarified. I wonder if FWP could use them to drive elk off private lands (either to address harboring or to disperse them).

I just looked at the MT regs:

Airplane Spotting
Aircraft may not be used to locate big game animals for the purpose of:
• hunting those animals during the same hunting day after a person has been airborne, or
• providing information to another person for the purpose of hunting those animals within the same hunting day after being airborne.

That might cover it, but it could be clarified. I wonder if FWP could use them to drive elk off private lands (either to address harboring or to disperse them).

MCA's search function sucks. Even putting in airplane spotting showed nothing. I had to manually go through the criminal section to find it.
MCA 87-6-208 Unlawful use of aircraft

Drone over the Gravelly Range

My son and I were hunting near the Talc Mine by Ennis on the last Saturday of elk season and watched one for several minutes hover close by then make its way down the valley slowly, hovering against the foothills periodically before disappearing. Made me feel a little uneasy.

When I sent out an email alert about Brendan having a placeholder bill to prohibit sage grouse hunting in MT, I got a reply back from a friend, upset over a conversation they had heard a couple days prior. A couple men bird hunting in Livingston were bragging about putting gps collars on their dogs. They were staying in the truck drinking beer, monitoring the dogs and when they stopped moving, the men went out there to shoot the birds.

Is this the future of "hunting"?

When I sent out an email alert about Brendan having a placeholder bill to prohibit sage grouse hunting in MT, I got a reply back from a friend, upset over a conversation they had heard a couple days prior. A couple men bird hunting in Livingston were bragging about putting gps collars on their dogs. They were staying in the truck drinking beer, monitoring the dogs and when they stopped moving, the men went out there to shoot the birds.

Is this the future of "hunting"?

As a dog owner with a GPS collar, I find this one a little hard to believe. It's certainly possible, but not very likely at least in reference to bird hunting. I suppose you could certainly do it with hounds.

Not a whole lot worse than what I witnessed 18 years ago in one of my favorite chukar hunting spots. Three fatasses from the South were cruising the ridges on their ATVs (closed to all off road travel) while their pointers ran below them. When they would point the three said fattasses would motor over and park, then hike a 100 yards or so to their dogs.

I do TU in December and I did BHA in January of this year. Then my refund goes with me to the RMEF banquet in April.

Hey guys. As BHA co-chair, I appreciate all your thoughts on this reg that BHA is supporting in MT, CO and other states. I believe "simpler is better" and don't want rules for the sake of rules. But drones are different than aircraft, ripe for abuse, so we need this clarifying language. We don't want lawyers and judges deciding what "flies" during hunting season. The best rules are simple and clear. Thanks for your support.

6 guys with radios will spot and track more game than a camera drone ever will. You can see the "team" in action every week on TV.

6 guys with radios will spot and track more game than a camera drone ever will. You can see the "team" in action every week on TV.

Even though it's illegal, you can usually find them in action in the Upper Ruby valley in Montana.

UAVs/RPAs/Drones are extremely effective and can seriously increase our nations abilities at doing their job and protecting our borders or whatever else is needed.

The last thing we want is someone to be able to use something as quiet and capable as one of those bad boys for scouting. Seriously, optical clarity is a none issue...YIKES!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCEAB
Back