Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

MT Bear

1whohunts

So I tried to hunt bear this weekend and had no luck on seeing bears. I hunted south and west facing slopes and no luck. What time to I need to be looking for bears? I am really hoping to tag out this yr for a bear. I hunted the belt mts for those who must know.
Someone please share some advice!!!!!

Brandon

I would hunt in the evenings. I would hunt east and north facing slopes. The bears will come out on those slopes earlier in the day, as the sun is casting shadows on those slopes in the afternoons. The sooner they come out, the more daylight you have for a stalk.

Good luck.

I put on a lot of miles on the boots this weekend in the beartooth and have yet to see any bears or much sign of them. Starting to get discouraged but ill keep at er. On a positive note I did see some sheep in an unlimited area..

If you are hunting the Big Belts, they are super dry this year and there is minimal bear activity. I am one more bad hunt away from scrapping my usual spots and moving to the Elkhorns or up to the Front. Slowest spring for bear I have seen since living in Helena.

This is my first year in Helena so not sure what to expect but the Big Belts were very dry even after the rain last weekend. Reminded me of the mountain ranges in central Wyoming.

Hunting SW Montana. Didn't see anything two days ago, yesterday saw the coolest blonde phase, but for only 30 seconds before it was back in the trees. Waited all night to spot it again but never did.

Another day out from 2pm until dark and no bears. Glassed a northeast facing clear cut with snow up top and nice green grass all the way to the creek. Only saw a couple moose, mule deer, and 3 elk. No bears, hopefully if the weather cools off the next few days it will change our luck. Staying optimistic and persistent.

I think about 95% of the bears I have ever seen have been in the last hour of shooting light, and most of them in the last 30 min of light, so I almost always do evening hunts for bears. In the Big Belts I would go high and hunt some of the burnt areas from a few years back...especially if you can find some burnt out timber/clearing next to thick patches of living timber. And just like anything else get away from the roads. I also like to get a good vantage point to glass lots of these areas....Glass till you can't see anymore. Chances are if you see a bear you might not have time for a stalk, but it gives you a spot to hone in on the next evening and hope he comes back.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheWolf
Back