Caribou Gear

MT backcountry hunt

mconway951

Hey guys looking at MT for next fall would love to do an earler season backcountry hunt sooking at the backcountry units looks like some steep rugged terain which is fine with me just looking for any info on these units. Are they hit hard by wolves? Do they hstoold good population numbers not looking for a giant just nice buck.
Any advice or what your experience in the terrain was.
Thanks guys
MIke

I'm sure the guys on here could tell you a lot about the terrain. I hunt the central part of the state so it's different country, but as far as the population and wolves I'd call the biologists for each unit you're looking at. Start with the region offices and they will hook you up with the biologists for the individual units. I had great success talking with some from all over the state.

I can't speak for the biologist in Montana but in idaho I would take what they tell you about how the wolf population has affected the elk/deer with a grain of salt you must remember that they are the salesman that are trying to sell you a tag for their state. has anyone seen page 27 in the idaho regs where they claim that the elk population is above or meeting objectives in a lot of units in idaho I can tell you this is a lot of bs by the biologists who are desperately trying to sell out of state tags. they show the lemhi zone as being above objectives when they have been cutting elk tag numbers every year the same with the pioneer zone the salmon zone hells canyon zone they change the tag structure in the beaverhead zone and I'm sure many more that I'm missing all to try to decrease hunter harvest yet if you call and ask they will tell you everything is a okay and come hut in idaho that is very wrong of them and I fear they are costing people a lot of money and robbing them of some once in a lifetime hunts.

Its pretty brushy in most of that country, with only a small bit of alpine country. Most of the mountains and ridges top out at 6,000-7,000'. Its not really what most would picture for a September rifle hunt.

Not a ton of mule deer in there, but they can get big.
Wolves don't bother the mule deer as much as the lions do, which there's way too many of.

The outfitters I know from up there have said pretty much exactly what randy said, low numbers of deer, but can be some whoppers. Sounds like a fun hunt though, good luck!

Back