Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

MSR Whisperlite Stoves; Think they're any good?

Has anyone tried/used the Primus ETA lite stove? Just picked one up at the big C on sale. trial run on it last night worked just fine. Of course I probably need to shake it around in my back back for a few miles to really find out.
I wanted something that packed up smaller than my whisper.

I've used Whisperlights for 20+ years. God knows how many meals. Hundreds for sure. They are light and they put out BTUs. That's the plus. The downside IMO is that they are not really adjustable. They require some practice, cleaning and maintenance. I have burned some tabletops. They can be dirty. I only recall one out-and-out failure in the field and that was winter camping around 10-20 below. At that temperature, the impurities in the fuel just wouldn't burn. I may be due for an upgrade but am too cheap.

Me too, including the part about being too cheap. For the initial heat it up it took me a while to figure out to turn off the fuel as soon as you hear it hissing so only a small amount of fuel is in the bottom. I'm surprised more fires aren't started by these things, but once you get them figured out they are ok. I also worry about fuel spilling out of the bottle in my pack.

Mine came with small wire on a handle for cleaning the jets and a small tool kit. I've had to clean the jet in the field but it was pretty easy.

I've been a MSR liquid fuel stove user for close to 20years as well with no problems. I started with a whisperlite that I bought used off a forum and have switched to a dragonfly for the last 10 years or so. While there is a bit of a learning curve to how to light and care for the stoves they are fairly low maintenance so I'm thinking you may have had fuel issues. Several people have already explained the starting procedure so there is no point in repeating. If you're getting a huge flair up or fuel on the ground, you're doing it wrong.

All the maintenance and storage recommendations come with the stove and are available on their website. The liquid fuel stoves have a bit more maintenance, but they are far more versatile in their use and the weather has little effect on them. No one could take my liquid stove away from me.

I've looked into the canister stoves for just heating water, but I like to cook soups and stuff for meals as well and a water burner is just not made for that. If you're interest is simply hot water in moderate temps, ditch the whisperlite and get a pocket rocket.

For those who have mentioned issues lighting the fuel at very cold temps, get a tueb of "fire paste." Its like petroleum toothpaste. You put a dab in the fire bowl and light it. It will warm the stove and heat the vaporizer to allow the stove to start. I keep it with me on all my winter camping trips. A tube will last the rest of your life and makes great fire starter too.

Update from my original post.
I sent my Whisperlite stove into MSR for repairs about 2 weeks ago. They said they'd call me when they evaluated the stove and give me a repair estimate to pay for upon their fixing it.
Today, I got a box back from MSR/Cascade Designs. I had no communication with them since sending them the stove. Inside the box was a brand new Whisperlite stove in the retail selling box. So, I guess my opinion of the company is that they're first rate. I appreciate great customer service. It's something you can't take for granted these days!

Thanks MSR!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back