Most Important Skills?

TexAg09

As a backcountry mule deer hunter what do you think are a few of the most important skills, and how do you hone them? I would contribute, but this year will be my first hunt. I'm assuming being able to shoot over 200-300 yards, and being able to pick apart a mountain with binos are up there, but what else? I'm just curious what your opinion is. Thanks!

Being able to sit on your ass for days glassing is something not many hunters can do well, or at all, for that matter..

For Mule deer its totally about being able to glass hard and well for long periods. You have to have the fitness to make a climb up to a glassing point which likely is gonna be up some very steep stuff from a trail, but once you are at a spot you could stay there all day or even for a weekend if it works with the sun and has a view of good country.

Don't be afraid to move. I like to be mobile. but be prepared to spend a lot of time behind the glass and buy the best glass you can.

I agree with what everyone else has already said but will add being able to take apart the animal with a knife. Learning about the gutless method, quartering, skinning, deboning, and separating the head with just a knife has been a great tool in my hunting inventory and having that ability pushes me further in. I hunt areas now that 5 years ago I thought was to far away to be solo.

Practice on rabbit's, they are built similar to ungulates.

Last edited:
I would say, recognizing quality habitat and likely spots to find animals. If you can't figure out where/how they live, you aren't going to be very successful.

All of the people that consistently shoot animals in the mountains are in good shape. It is the difference between having a fun, enjoyable hunt and going through a cycle of over-exertion and recovery. Get yourself in as good of shape as you can. Once you can hoof it around in the mountains for 10-12 miles a day, you are going to have way more fun and see way more animals.

Another thing I have found is that hunting is all about knowing when to move and when to sit. I think this takes practice. I feel like I have a ways to go yet, and every time I make the wrong decision, I learn from it. Be patient with yourself as you learn this. There is nobody on this forum that hasn't had to go through the learning curve.

One last thing that I think gets overlooked is knowing how to close the distance on an animal that you spot while glassing. I can't tell you how many times I've spotted an animal and, in my excitement, taken off after it only to realize after 15 minutes of hiking that I have no idea where in the world that thing is. It's important to come up with a plan before you take off. If the animal is gone by the time you formulate a plan, you weren't going to get it anyway.

Being able to sit on your ass for days glassing is something not many hunters can do well, or at all, for that matter..

^This.

Especially when you've spent all summer getting in shape, then you sit on your duff all day glassing. It's really easy to miss deer if you're not patient on the glass.

Back