More wall tent questions (stove-related)

gbfan

Been looking at wall tents (mostly Davis), for hunting primarily from the truck. I had been looking at 6-man camping tents (currently all I have is a 1-man and a 2-man backpacking tent), but figured a good 6-man would cost $5-600 anyway. I pretty much hunt solo but decided since I'm going to be hunting for a longer period of time this year I'd like a little more space to relax, though one of the other purposes would be for heat. Never had one before but after looking at the Davis tent website and FAQs, for 1-person to set-up I think the 10oz, 12'x14' with a window would be perfect.

1. Debating between heaters and wanted to know how many people use a propane heater vs a wood stove and what brand of stove you use. Since I'm not packing it in, propane heat might be more practical for me since I already have a Camp Chef burner. Looking through some other posts it appears Riley camp stoves might be another good choice. Specific to the Davis tents I was looking at the Ridge stove but does anyone have any experience with the smaller Ellis folding pack stove? I see the Ridge weighs 95lbs whereas the Ellis weighs 35lbs (might save me some shipping $ although I'd also consider picking it up on the way to WY).

2. The bigger the stovepipe, the more heat it creates in the tent, correct? Might be a dumb question but everyone cooks on the wood stove as well- you can just throw a frying pan on top and start cooking, right?

3. For hanging stuff (clothes, lantern), inside the tent with the traditional pole set-up, do you run rope from pole-to-pole or just hang stuff from the poles? I think the website said you have the ability to hang more stuff with the internal frame but I'm looking at the traditional poles.

4. Last one, I know certain states have restrictions on bringing out of state firewood in and if you pack in on horses you have downed lumber around but for guys that hunt out of state, do you take firewood with you or try to find it at the campsite?

Thanks.

We stay in a mil surplus GP Small and use an M-51 style pot belly stove (link http://armytents.com/heaters.html ). Where we hunt there is a ton of blow down Aspen. We set up camp a couple of days before the opener and as soon as the tent is up we cut and split wood. Works great. Don't cook much on it other than heating up water to wash with. I know here in CO we do have firewood restrictions, best choice for us is this stove, a chainsaw and a maul. Very comfy tent :)

IMHO, I don't think it's a good idea to cook in your tent. My experience with wall tents is that they fill up with people smells quick enough, without cooking in it as well. When I've hunted from them in the past, we've just made a small kitchen area a short distance from the tent by rigging a couple tarps for wind/rain. This seems to work fine, and keeps the food smells from permeating everything. Also, I like propane for heat. It's clean, low maintenance, less smelly, etc. Since it does not sound like you are going to be packing the stove in, I'd say propane makes sense. Also, I'd bring a couple plastic storage tubs that fit under the cot, and store your hunting clothes in one and your "around camp" clothes in the other. Good luck finding a tent.

Having used both a propane heater and a wood stove, I'll take the wood stove anytime. I also cook in my tent as well. I also usually shower every night. In my experience, propane, food smells and wood smoke are no different than any other human odor. You get up wind of a critter and it's game over. You might also consider a Cabela's Alaknak. Mine is 12X20, but they also make a 12X12 and 13X27. You can add a vestibule for additional space outside of sleeping quarters and a weather proof entry. They are a snap to put up, even by yourself, and mine has stood up to snow, rain and wind. I replaced my wall tent with an Alaknak and have never looked back. I forgot to mention regarding wood, it depends on where my hunt is. Some locations have a ready supply and others, it's strictly bring it with you when you come. A brief discussion with someone that has hunted there previously, the game manager or a local will solve that question.

Last edited:
Keep in mind wood is not effected by elevation. Pellet stoves and propane can be from what I read. Propane also gives off moisture what could add to condensation. We plan on using propane this year. Ir is easy and gives us more time to hunt.

One last thing. Last year there were cows all over our area and the camp ground we stayed in. We returned on day to find out they ripped out 2 guy lines. 1 resulted in a ripped tent. I would use rope and sticks to fence my tent off if cows were in the area.

Back