Caribou Gear

More domestics and bighorns

Looks like a case of good old fashioned extortion. Hope he doesn't get away with it.

Wow, how disappointing. One pattern that usually can be predicted; when people move to/from other parts of the country, whether they move from west to east, east to west, north to south, or whatever, is that the land and conservation ethic they have will usually follow them to where they re-settle. Sometimes good, sometimes bad.

As much as it is his right to do whatever he pleases on his private lands, can you imagine the screaming and yelling that would happen if WY G&F introduced a non-native species on public land that had a 90% mortality impact on his sheep or cattle. He would be predicting the end of the world, yet when he makes the same threats, it is all under the guise of "Big Government" is picking on me.

Wish some sane resolution could be had, even if it seems to be rewarding (what appears to be) belligerent and threatening behaviors. If that is what it takes to protect these wild sheep, it would be a worthwhile price to pay. Too important of a resource to be hung up on being right or perceived justice/injustice.

One thing for sure, guys like him and Bundy do nothing to improve the image of these public land grazers as being great steward of the lands. Unfortunate, as I know many of them who are good stewards, but these kind of guys are painting the image and enjoying the spotlight it provides them. I would love to see some of these good public land grazers publicly rebuke the abusive/illegal grazers, but I doubt that will happen. Just not part of the culture, no matter how damaging the wingnuts are to the image and future of the good guys.

Thanks Miller, I was going to post this. As you said, there are a few different issues at work. I have my own biased opinions, but would like to hear others.

BLM upper management isn't sounding too impressive on this deal either.

Suspending an employee for insubordination for documenting domestic sheep on public land? It is going to take 5 to 7 YEARS to get some leases renewed?

The whole thing is scary and sad at the same time.

Is there any possibility of a vaccination or something for Bighorns to make them more immune to pnemonia?

A BLM biologist muzzled for putting wildlife above livestock. I am so shocked. I'm also shocked at this revelation:
The BLM says the state’s evidence is not sufficient. To find someone guilty of trespass, the agency has to document the violation itself.

Too bad there is such a polarized atmosphere with regards to wildlife conservation. It feels like there is no reasonable middle ground left.

It is going to take 5 to 7 YEARS to get some leases renewed?
That can easily be the case when litigation is involved. A decision that is appealed can take a LONG time to resolve and lots of man hours that then can't be used on other allotments/projects/documents. I worked on a permit renewal that is nearly in it's 10th year and still not resolved. Mind you this was for a 10year permit...

The BLM says the state’s evidence is not sufficient. To find someone guilty of trespass, the agency has to document the violation itself.
Yep. Spelled out in the handbook on how to deal with livestock trespass. Got to have documented counts and identify marks/brands recorded. Additionally, if you count the document the livestock on Monday and Wednesday, it can be a bit tricky to trespass them for Tuesday if they're not documented.

Last edited:
One BLM biologist was even suspended for insubordination in September after asking the Wyoming Game and Fish Department to help the BLM document the trespass, according to BLM documents shared with the Star-Tribune.

I'd like to hear your opinion on the above quote, 1_p. I'm sure there is more to the story than is portrayed in the article.

It's the stone age... ;) :D

My opinion is that BLM personnel should be the ones investigating/documenting trespass on BLM lands.

I do agree that there is probably more to the story than what's in the article.

A 30 year history of battling the Feds and not following the grazing leases is everyone else's fault.

Guys in his age group are the biggest entitlement generation of all time. Nothing is their fault, even when the U.S.S.C. says it is.

The humor gets even better when members of hunttalk, in the same general age bracket, choose to defend this asshat.

There is no excuse for this guys actions. He's an uninformed idiot, making ridiculous claims that disease transmission doesn't happen between domestics and wild sheep. Stupid bastard probably still thinks the world is flat.

If he displayed the same disregard for his BLM leases that he is now displaying toward wildlife, it should come as no shock that his leases are pulled.

Frank Robbins is not a victim, he's an instigator and an a-hole who cares about nobody or nothing other than himself.

My opinion is that BLM personnel should be the ones investigating/documenting trespass on BLM lands.

I agree, especially given that only documentation by BLM personnel can be used in the legal/decision-making process. They also "should" be making it a priority in an area where so much is at stake. However, it sounds like BLM management is not interested in documenting the trespass, hence the staff asking G&F and subsequently getting suspended.

I agree, especially given that only documentation by BLM personnel can be used in the legal/decision-making process. They also "should" be making it a priority in an area where so much is at stake. However, it sounds like BLM management is not interested in documenting the trespass, hence the staff asking G&F and subsequently getting suspended.

It feels like the BLM is walking on eggshells while this guys leases are being renewed. They don't want the herd sick so they are trying to appease him because it takes a while for the renewal process.

Over a month ago Dick Kroger, retired BLM, wrote a letter to the editor in the Billings Gazette, which I posted to this forum. He was stating that a BLM employee got suspended for doing his job at the Worland office, involving Frank Robbins and grazing violations.

I looked Kroger up and gave him a call, we talked for awhile, I made lots of notes, especially about the domestic sheep introduction, which sounded like Hoppe here in Gardiner. I then began researching the timeline of events. Then I went head to trunck with a tree and have been dealing with the concussion, so only a few days ago when the story came out, pull my notes back out.

Harvey Frank Robbins, an Alabama millionaire, bought a ranch in Montana in the BLM Butte district.
1994 he then buys the High Island ranch in WY, later adding the HD and Owl Creek ranches to the holding. “No one is going to tell me what to do with my property,” Robbins says. Which apparently he thought included the BLM land. He began incurring numerous trespass violations. "BLM files are filled with complaints about Robbins’ operation: cattle trespassing on the private property of neighbors and on the neighbors’ BLM grazing allotments; grazing too early, too late, and putting too many cattle on his allotments; blocking a neighbor’s use of a cattle-drive trail; claiming his cattle were on private pasture when they were on BLM pastures; refusing to obtain recreation permits for his dude ranch trail drives over BLM lands; and refusing to modify his grazing practices during drought. As the struggle developed, the local BLM staffers tried to deny grazing permits to his ranches, and even contemplated seizing his herd. For years, lawsuits and counter-lawsuits volleyed back and forth. At one point, Robbins was charged with interfering with the work of federal officers; he was acquitted in a jury trial in 1998."

In 2002 Robbins goes to Washington to appeal to higher BLM and Interior officials. "It’s gotten so ugly that he bypassed the local BLM staffers and brokered a unique deal with top officials in the Bush administration’s Department of Interior, forcing the locals to back off."

In 2003 Robbins secures a settlement that basically forgave 9 years of violations. "In turn, Robbins agrees to allow the BLM access to BLM lands that he leases."

"The settlement will be in effect until January 2005. While it lasts, only two people can cite Robbins for violations of BLM regulations: BLM Director Kathleen Clarke and the Wyoming director, Bob Bennett." "Meanwhile, the Inspector General of the Interior Department is investigating the legality of the settlement. Several environmental groups are threatening to sue to overturn it. And Robbins has one remaining active lawsuit, alleging that eight current or former BLM staffers conspired against him in violation of a federal racketeering law."

"PEER's Ruch said he's particularly unhappy that Interior officials "sold out" their BLM staff and left them exposed to what Ruch termed "a frivolous" RICO lawsuit. Ruch said the BLM's own fact-finding team determined that Worland staff were behaving professionally and properly in their dealings with Robbins."

In Dec. 2003 - "The Bureau of Land Management has voided a controversial settlement agreement with Thermopolis-area rancher Harvey Frank Robbins Jr., after Robbins was cited for willful trespass of cattle, officials and attorneys involved in the dispute say."

Jan. 2004 the BLM issues official statement of settlement agreement being void. Robbins then sues in a federal district court. The court ruled against Robbins on constitutional claim and Robbins appealed.

Jan 2006 the Tenth Circuit Court of Appeals rules Robbins has a right to exclude the BLM.

In Jan. 2007 BLM filed appeal to US Supreme Court. In June 2007 the US Supreme Court ruled in favor of the BLM.

About 2 years ago Robbins brings in domestic sheep in retaliation.

Thats as far as I got before the concussion. I may be missing bits here. From what was relayed by Kroger, the BLM employees in the Worland office were told by superiors not to issue any citations against Robbins, which he just wrote about in another letter to the editor - Leaders at Worland BLM office violate sacred trust. Tim Stephens was suspended for filing evidence of trespass into the official record (I think it was brought in by a neighbor). He did not issue any citations as superiors have not permitted. At least, that is what I was told. Someone will probably have to do a FOIA to find out.

Read more: http://billingsgazette.com/news/opi...ca4-5932-82e8-9a0d2a43be6c.html#ixzz3NyVkmVJV

Reckless Rancher cuts sweet deal in D.C.

Western Turf War by retired BLM Darrell Barnes

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaredem21
Back