Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Montana's new management plan for sage grouse 'visionary,' biologist says

Michaelr

By DARYL GADBOW of the Missoulian

A National Wildlife Federation biologist from Missoula says Montana's draft management plan for sage grouse is "visionary" in its call for protection of sagebrush habitat.
"It calls in the plan for no net loss of sagebrush habitat in Montana over the next 50 years," said Ben Deeble, a Missoula upland bird biologist who helped craft the state's "Draft Management Plan and Conservation Strategies for Sage Grouse in Montana."
Deeble is part of a group that started work in 2000 to assess the condition of sage grouse and its habitat in Montana in anticipation of a petition asking the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service to list the bird under the Endangered Species Act.
Sage grouse were once found in 13 western states and three Canadian provinces. Today they are found in 11 states and southern Alberta and Saskatchewan. The bird's remaining strongholds are in Montana, Wyoming, Idaho, Nevada and Oregon.
Concern about the declining status of sage grouse and sagebrush habitat led several groups and individuals to submit six different petitions to the Fish and Wildlife Service asking for Endangered Species Act listing.
The act requires the federal agency to assess the real or potential risks to a petitioned species based on five factors - habitat, over-use, disease or predation, existing regulations and other factors.
Montana decided to do its own sage grouse assessment and conservation plan "to get ahead of the curve," said Deeble.
The group working on the plan attended 20 different planning meetings, he said.
"It convened as many interest groups as possible," he said. "Including all the agencies involved, conservation organizations, hunters, tribal representatives, ranchers, farmers and property owners."
"I think in some regards it's visionary," Deeble added about the group's draft plan. "It's the first time the state and conservation groups have come together to acknowledge that sage grouse conservation is important. And they realized we need to do something, even though Montana is one of the last strongholds of sage grouse in the West, and that it is the long-term lifeboat of sage grouse in the West."
Montana Fish, Wildlife and Parks is seeking public comment on the plan through Jan. 20. The plan is available online at FWP's Web site at fwp.state.mt.us. Look for the Sage Grouse Plan link under Hot Topics.
FWP also held six public meetings to discuss the plan in December in Dillon, Glasgow, Miles City, Lewistown, Billings and Great Falls.
The draft plan contains the following conservation strategies for sage grouse in Montana:
Minimize wildfire or prescribed fire impacts on sage grouse habitat.
Maintain sage grouse hunting without impacting sage grouse populations.
Maintain and enhance sagebrush rangelands for sage grouse habitat and for livestock grazing and other uses.
Engage in mining and oil and gas development and minimize impacts to sage grouse and sagebrush habitats.
Minimize impacts of noxious weeds and other invasive species on sage grouse.
Teach and inform Montanans and others about sage grouse populations and habitat needs.
Coordinate sage grouse conservation on public and private grounds.
Continue to provide electric service to customers (requiring power lines and generation facilities), while minimizing impacts to sage grouse and sagebrush habitats.
Where appropriate, manage predation rates to enhance sage grouse survival and production using either indirect control (reduction of perching sites, elimination of denning sites, or improved habitat conditions), or direct control where legal and cost effective.
Continue to provide sage grouse viewing and other recreational opportunities, while minimizing impacts.
Manage existing and future roads to minimize road-related disturbance, loss of habitat, degradation of habitat, and mortality of sage grouse.
Manage vegetation to maintain the health of the sagebrush community, enhance sage grouse habitats and meet the needs of other species and human uses.
Maintain sage grouse habitat where the effects of other wild herbivores (especially deer and elk) are reducing the quality of the site for use by sage grouse.
The plan also calls for organization of three local or regional sage grouse working groups that will meet with biologists and conservation groups to identify issues, Deeble said.
Initially, the groups will be located in Dillon, Glasgow and Broadus.
"In the Glasgow area," said Deeble, "sage grouse are doing very well. We hope the local group there can figure out what's working well there and make recommendations to the other groups. In Broadus, the looming concern is coal bed methane development, which could be catastrophic to sage grouse."
The state's sage grouse management plan "does nothing to stop development of coal bed methane," he added. "But it talks about steps to mitigate impacts, such as burying utility lines, and re-injecting well water into the ground."
Montana's sage grouse plan "contains some small carrots," said Deeble, "but not many sticks" to enforce it.
FWP plans to spend up to $1.5 million in hunting and fishing license fees for conservation easements to preserve sage grouse habitat and habitat enhancement projects, according to Deeble.
The major weakness of the plan, he said, is a lack of commitment from the federal Bureau of Land Management, the agency that manages the bulk of public sagebrush lands.
"If anything," he said, "that's the Achilles heel of this plan. BLM did not whole-heartedly commit to this plan."
One of the goals of the plan, said Deeble, was to avoid federal dictates to manage sage grouse in Montana under the Endangered Species Act.
"We wanted very much to see if we could solve this problem on the local level in Montana," he said, "and not have the federal government intervene. We need more cooperation from agencies like BLM for us to succeed."
Even if Montana's plan produces positive results in protecting and enhancing sage grouse numbers, however, the bird could still be listed as endangered or threatened.
"The Endangered Species Act is generally color blind to state boundaries," Deeble said. "So it could still be listed even if it's stable in Montana or Wyoming."
He said he expects FWP to make a final decision on the plan in the next two months.
h3092pi.gif

http://www.missoulian.com/display/inn_features/outdoors/zod02.txtthere is the link for ithaca
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 01-24-2003 07:58: Message edited by: michaelr ]</font>

Sure would be nice if they could make it happen.
Better to have in-state control.
More power to them.

That's great!!! The ranch my research is on counted over 600 males last year!!!

The thing to be wary about with the sagegrouse in the determination of different 'species'. This can almost automatically place a population on the ESA. The birds in SE UT and CO have been renamed Gunnison's Sagegrouse for this purpose. I hear a similar thing may be happening in California.

I bet preventing loss of and bettering of sagebrush habitat will also help out the local mule deer populations.

ithaca,
does your whole existance revolve around cows??
can we start a topic about something else for a change?

I know on our place that there are still a few of sage chickens. Theere used to be thousands. The biggest threat they face is the hawks and foxes. we have a large set of power lines that run through the ranch, and you can alway count upwords of 25 hawks just sitting there waiting.
We haven't allowed any hunting in the last 10 yrs so that isn't a factor, and our habitat hasn't changed for 80 yrs so that isn't a factor. It is hawks and foxes on our place.
hump.gif
hump.gif

Michael, don't you guys have a fox season? Don't people hunt them? I realize it's not as glorifying to those "hunters" who only go out for a week or so to get their big game animal, but it is probably more necessary to the overall game management plan.

How come I don't hear the SSS on hawks like we just did on wolves and lions? It should be easier to get away with. Oh yeah I know, the hawks don't affect the game preferred by the "real hunters".

Not attacking you, sorry if it feels like I am, but I think these questions are relevent.

Hawks are protected ya big dummy
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
biggrin.gif

I trap foxes every year. This year we are getting some fairly decent prices so maybe a few more guys that quit trapping because the fur prices went in the toilet for so long will start again.

Went and sold some furs last weekend. There was a kid (high school age) that had a butt load of bobcat skins, and some fox and yotes, he walked away with a check for over $8000.00,
yeeehaw lets go trappin!!!

Glad to hear trapping is alive nd well there. I wish I had time to run a trapline responsibly.

That was my point, Wolves are protected and in a couple of states I believe lions are, yet, I see people stating on internet forums that they are willing to shoot them because "they kill (pick your critter)'s calves , fawns, whatever. Why aren't these same people talking the same way about hawks?

The study on the ranch showed that the two biggest causes of mortality were raptors and fence collisions!!! This study showed that coyotes actually help out the sagegrouse. They help keep the jackrabbits down, which in turn helps keep the Golden Eagles away!

One thing that is terribly important for sagegrouse is the presence of LOTS of forbs in the spring and summer. This is critical for hens laying good eggs and providing food for the young chicks. Another note, too much sagebrush in an area is also bad. They need a mix of sagebrush and grass/forb areas for the young chicks to feed on. Chicks digestive systems aren't developed enough to digest sagebrush until they are about 6wks old. Until then they eat insects, forbs, and grass seeds.

I have watched hawks nail sage hens several times. it's kinda neat. once a hawk spots a sage hen the sage hen aint got a chance.

You make excellant points Marland. If it isnt for the glorified big game critters it doesnt matter to them. But if the hawks were big enuff to attack a mule deer look out it would be open season on them.
rolleyes.gif

Marland, Nut, I agree with you guys completely. If an issue doesnt directly affect someone they rarely do anything about it.

Several years ago I was attending a Fish & Game meeting and I saw a classic example of this type of attitude. I watched as 30 or so mountain lion hunters rambled on about lions, stating the same damn thing for an hour. Everyone was limited to 5 minutes to bitch.

Finally an issue surrounding sage grouse season was opened and ONE person spoke, and the guy was knowledgeable and had his stuff together. The commission tried to cut him short by saying his time was up. It was classic, the guy said, "I just sat through over an hour of redundant bullshit on cats, I think you can give my issue, which is probably more important, a few more minutes."

They granted the guy more time and he made his case.

So, you're right about many issues not recieving the attention they deserve. Not sure how to address the problem.

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 01-24-2003 14:25: Message edited by: BuzzH ]</font>

I have raised my voice about hawks, Exactly what buzz said was the result.
It will get attention when the birds hit the list
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

I would think the power company could design something that makes it hard for hawks to perch on power poles would be a start.

I know that would make a huge difference on our place.

I went around and cut all the tall fence posts to just above the top wire, The hawks don't seem to like the fences now.

Good point Michael, one that we've sort of discussed before, they sit on those power poles or high tension wire lines with claer vision for however far those birds can see and it's open season on their prey species.

We've all heard stories about how the Sage Grouse populations were 80 years ago but I wonder how the populations were 150 years ago or 200?

The reason for the speculation is, it wasn't too uncommon for guys to shoot raptors back in the days before they became protected. And that seems to correlate to higher populations.

Though raptor populations would have an effect, I think the loss of quality habitat for agriculture is probably the biggest reason for the decline. I know that in UT after irrigation became more affordable, many sagebrush areas were converted to wheatgrass pastures.

It' still loss of habitat that's the biggest factor. Take a look at what causes poor habitat and you'll find the culprit. I really don't understand how power line poles make it easier for a hawk to spot a grouse than when the hawk is soaring, but maybe it's a factor. I do know that if the cover was better it would be harder to see the grouse no matter where the hawk was looking from. Kinda hard for a young grouse to hide in grass that's one inch tall, just like it's hard for fawns to hide where there's no cover.

Ithaca, the theory I'm working with is that Hawks can sit on the poles , not wasting any energy (not that they use much soaring) for hours. Alll they have to do is be near a water source (those improved concrete guzzlers(?) would be optimum) and simply watch.

Is it a workable theory? From what I see around here it is, your mileage may vary.

Don't I remember hearing somewhere that the overgrazing and habitat loss has been going on for ages and not just a recent thing?

Marland, I dont think there is a debate that raptors have an impact. But, its fair to note that a lot of the sage grouse habitat I'm familiar with in MT and WY has very few power lines or power poles. Fence posts abound, but I dont think a hawk can see all that well from 4 feet up, at least not for very far.

As with most declines in wildlife populations its more than likely a habitat problem. Most predator problems are usually a result of poor habitat as well. Like Ithaca says its hard for a sage grouse to hide in one inch stubble or behind a cow pie.

Yeah I was pushing it a bit too far...
wink.gif

Of course if they have no place to hide they aren't safe and many species seemingly won't breed (or sit atleast) if they don't feel safe.

Back