Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Montana Upland

802flyfish

Looking to get into Upland hunting here in Montana (Gallatin County). I've been browsing shotguns and really like the CZ Drake, V3 water fowl pro, V3 field sport, and the SX4 Upland. Has anyone shot one or can recommend a gun in $750.00 price range?

Is anyone aware of any places near by that offer a trespass fee to hunt? I've had a few people who highly recommended making the trip to SD for a long weekend of hunting. I was hoping I could find something that doesn't require a 5 plus hour drive.

Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated!

Last edited:
Lots of upland hunting on public/bma around here no need to pay you can find plenty of mtn grouse, huns, sharptails and even sage grouse. If you're talking specifically pheasant hunting then I believe there are some preserves you could pay to get on. I haven't been to any of them but they are around. You can find pheasants on public to but it's definitely not ND or SD, not even close.

I bought a CZ O/U Woodcock 20ga when I started bird hunting in 2006 and it's been great for the price.

I have used the Winchester SX3 and SX4 extensively. The SX3 for 5 years for all things bird hunting. I highly recommend it. The SX4 has a slimmer design but a great feel to it.

I forgot to add that both Winchesters were the waterfowl editions!

Looking to get into Upland hunting here in Montana (Gallatin County). I've been browsing shotguns and really like the CZ Drake, V3 water fowl pro, V3 field sport, and the SX4 Upland. Has anyone shot one or can recommend a gun in $750.00 price range?

Is anyone aware of any places near by that offer a trespass fee to hunt? I've had a few people who highly recommended making the trip to SD for a long weekend of hunting. I was hoping I could find something that doesn't require a 5 plus hour drive.

Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated!
Jumped a couple covies of grouse on the flats near Norris. Found some mountain grouse in the bridgers, but you better be ready to hike.

If it’s sole purpose is pheasants, grouse and so forth, would a 20GA be more appropriate? I plan on getting a 12ga for waterfowl.
Up until today, the SX3 12 gauge is all I used. Pheasants, grouse, geese and ducks, it has folded them all! I would look into the waterfowl edition or the black synthetic for waterfowl!

I just change my chokes and ammo based on the season and/or hunt.

I use the classic Remington 870 in 12 gauge. It’s good for everything especially if your going to get into waterfowl. Nice to be able to just use one shotgun and just have to change shells between different birds

I use the classic Remington 870 in 12 gauge. It’s good for everything especially if your going to get into waterfowl. Nice to be able to just use one shotgun and just have to change shells between different birds
Exactly, ammo and chokes were all I changed and the consistency helped my shooting

All I do is change between steel for waterfowl and lead for upland. Best thing I did for that gun was get a pattern master choke
Which one? I got the anaconda and so far so good. A lot less cripples!

Back