Caribou Gear

Montana Unlimited Sheep

KC2011

Hi All,

New on the forums here, and wanted to reach out to see if anyone has attempted the Unlimited Sheep tags in Montana. I believe there are several units open, but a quick look appears very few sheep. I know the hunting is extremely hard and many units close the day they open if the quota is filled. I'm always up for a great challenge, but is it even worth going? Do you see any sheep at all? I would imagine a lot depends on weather and trying to catch them coming out of Yellowstone.

Thanks all

KC2011

I think you gotta get in early and find a ram. Keep tabs on him until the season opens. I've read some sucess stories and know of a couple people to try it with no luck. I'd say if you are comfortable camping for a few weeks with the hopes of seeing a sheep, go for it. Maybe you go and learn a lot and can make it an annual trip. You may learn enough and get lucky enough to eventually get one.

On a scale of 1 to 10, where 10 is most difficult, you are looking at a 12! Even back in the 1970's when I gave it several tries, it was extremely difficult. Additionally, when you did find rams they were usually very young and sub-legal. Of course there were exceptions. Two friends of mine got on a bunch of 10-rams near the park and each got a ram one of which was 38-inches and 10-years old. I never got one until I drew a limited tag.

Thanks guys....yes I would definitely get there a week ahead to try and locate rams. Right now thinking of a 2013 hunt. I know the odds on this type of hunt are less than 5% but one of those things that unless you actually try it, you can't cross it off your bucket list.

Are you from Montana and are you even remotely familiar with the country those tags are available in?

No I'm not from Montana, but have been researching the unlimited areas for almost a year. I know it's some very rugged country, and from what I can tell the best bet may be setting up close to the park and hoping the weather moves them.

Bighorn sheep hunting is a tough endeavor as it is without attempting it in Montana's unlimited areas. My advice is to apply for a bighorn permit in several states, and keep it at.

I spent several years down there hunting goats and helping friends with their goat hunts before I bought a sheep tag. The first year I had a tag I went in solo a week early and did find four rams, three of which were legal. They disappeared before the season started and I never saw them again. I did find another ram the second day of the season but some other hunters scared him off without even knowing he was there. I was bivy camping, traveling very light and somedays covering up to 12 miles and gaining 5000 feet a lot of it off trail on some pretty scary stuff. After 14 days I was beat, and with a midnight griz in my camp tearing up my pack less than 4 yards from my sack, I had enough and called it quits. No rams were killed in that unit that year.

I went back the next year with a few friends, one of which had a goat tag. I went in early and found him a nice billy. They showed up the day before the season and the next morning he had a boone and crocket billy on the ground. We were 12 miles in and took a few days to hike out taking time to glass the mornings and evenings for sheep. On the last day I spotted a ram way across a drainage. I left most of my gear with my friends and ran 2500' down the mountain waded the creek in the bottom and about killed myself getting 2400' up the other side. The ram had bedded down in some thick young timber. I tried to wait him out but by late afternoon I could see the rest of my crew had made it down to the valley bottom. We needed to get the goat out by that evening so I got down wind and started to sneak into where I hoped he was. I jumped him at less than 10 yards and managed to get two quick shots off dropping him about 20 yards from me. He is a 7 and 1/2 year old full curl ram but scores less than 160. That was one of the most difficult but rewarding experiences of my life. I am very proud of that ram and when I can get another tag I will be back until I get another or die trying.

Over the years in there I ran into the guys that guide the sheep hunts for the outfitter in that area. They are some great guys and hunters, one of which frequents this site occasionally. He decided not to guide the year after I got my ram and I was offered the opportunity to take his place. The other guide and I did everything we could to find rams that year but had no luck.

I went back in last year with a friend that had a tag. We checked out some new very beautiful country but had no luck finding any rams. This is a very difficult hunt in extremely difficult terrain. You must be in excellent shape and expect to not see any sheep whatsoever. If you even get a glimpse of a ram you have beaten the odds. Just to give you an idea of how tough it is, the sheep outfitters in these areas dont even see any rams many years. Oh yeah, expect to see plenty of grizzlies. I see them every year, have had three in my camp, and four others at less than 20 yards in the last few years in there. I do everything you are supposed to in griz country but they are so thick in that area that you are bound to bump into one or have one come through your camp eventually.

Thanks very much Theat, and sounds like you had a great trip. Out of the 5 units for unlimited 300, 303, 500, 501, 502 I'm leaning towards 300 which has a quota of 2 rams. This one seems to have the largest chunk of Yellowstone bordering on the Southern edge. From what I've found out there is a lot of country out there, but also a lot of country that just won't have sheep. Google maps has helped in finding areas to key on which I'm going to concentrate up high in bowls/grassy areas that have timber and water close. The typical food, water and cover mentality. I totally agree about going in with the idea of not even seeing anything. That was the approach on all my DIY public land Elk hunts in Colorado and ended up 3/6 years on 4pt or better bulls. I have up to 4 weeks I could actually hunt so may even spend several weeks pre-scouting. I'm just not into waiting for 10+ yrs for a draw tag and maybe never draw. Just to experience the Hunt and get into sheep country will be worth it in my book. Just a good legal Ram is all I'm after (doesn't need to be a booner).

35 days after opening day 501 and 502 are still open with only one ram in each being taken. No rams killed in 500 or 302 yet this year.

My brother and I have been researching for a year now as well and are planning on Fall 2013. We did some physical pre-training before our elk hunt this year. Starting in November, 9 months out, is the first phase of our Sheep Shape program. March we'll kick it into high gear with 6 months to go. I will be buying a sheep tag and he's going to carry a deer tag and go along for the adventure. We got boots on the ground scouting this summer and I will be back out next summer about a month before our hunt.

I think if I was going to hunt that country I would just plan on making it an annual high country mule deer hunt and carry a sheep tag too. The country is some of the roughest around and the air is very thin.
066.jpg

Last edited:
My buddy and I are thinking about doing it next year. We'll both have sheep tags, but one will bring the bow for elk or deer and also a black bear tag. Main focus will be on sheep but with all of that glassing I would think one would turn up a buck or bull that fits the bill. Sounds like it would be a fun backpacking/hunting trip.

Did some reading about this area and talked to a lot of guys as i was seriously considering it. Theat is a badass for hitting it so hard so often knowing the success rate. His comments, the info I've gathered from the article or two in a magazine and others I've spoken with have basically convinced me to keep trying for other areas. Good on ya' if you give it go though.

My neighbor went 7 years straight with several family members and in the end they all got a sheep. Propably the hardest earned trophy in north america imo.

There is some good info in Duncan Gilchrist books and there was an article in huntin fool a couple years ago that's worth reading.

Would make a great OYOA episode.

Last edited:
My brother and I are definitely going fall 2013. We hadn't considered having it filmed but would definitely not be opposed to it. Based on my research the past year, I agree with Wyo556, there is not a hunt any harder than the Unlimited going DIY. We have read every book we can get our hands on including Gichrist and have scoured the web for every thread and post out there. Being a little less than a year out, it woudl be pretty cool for OYOA to follow us through our training and scouting for the next nine months and into the hunt.

One thing I can promise is,regardless, I will start posting our photos from this year's (2012) scouting, what we've learned, and as our training progresses through this next year so you all can follow.

Even though there are opportunities to watch the Park migration and get a ram, we are in it for a backcountry experience and ruled several units out on that criteria. A few units don't typically have resident sheep, just migrants that people bust on tehir way out of the Park.

My brother and I both got married in 2011 and decided if we are going to go, 2013 is the time before we start having kids. We are still in great shape and we can at least say we did it on public landd, gave it all we've got without a guide, and without putting in draws for who know how long.

I can garuntee if we stay healthy, we won't leave anything on the table when it comes to the research and physical aspects. The issue is finding the things. Its a needle in the haystack. Biologists put numbers in some units where there are resident sheep at half dozen legal rams in 250 sq miles. That's tough odds. And they aren't usually up in the rocks running where you can see them, they seem to stick to timber.

I guess one pitch for any potential filmers for us out there, we're just about garunteed to run into grizzlies based on everyone I've talked to. That always makes for good TV. :)

My brother and I have been researching for a year now as well and are planning on Fall 2013. We did some physical pre-training before our elk hunt this year. Starting in November, 9 months out, is the first phase of our Sheep Shape program. March we'll kick it into high gear with 6 months to go. I will be buying a sheep tag and he's going to carry a deer tag and go along for the adventure. We got boots on the ground scouting this summer and I will be back out next summer about a month before our hunt.

What are you guys doing for training? I typically run, lift weights, and P90X before my hunting seasons. This past year I did the Insanity program. It has definitely been named appropriately. Its nuts and so is anyone that does it. And looking back on all the training and workouts (including 3 yrs of college baseball), its the best condition Ive ever been in. Would highly recommend it to anyone wanting to rip it up and get their lungs back.

We are starting with the High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT), followed by incorporating a moutain climbing routine http://www.alpineascents.com/denali-train.asp with 6 minute hills http://www.wildsheep.org/pdf/six_minute_hill.pdf peppered in on weekends when there is more time to hit some bigger inclines.

My best frind is an SF soldier in Afghanastan. He is a big proponent of the HIIT program based on his tasks there at high elevation and turned me onto it. His version of HIIT is a great rotation for the busy person maximizing time with only 3 workouts per week at less than an hour for the weight training. I'm a believer now seeing where he is and what it did for me this summer prior to elk season. I'd be happy to email you that workout if you want to message me.

Best of luck CBranch, certainly a hunt that a lot of DIY have looked into and researched.
Timing as you say is important in a persons life for a hunt like this to do it justice and certainly ensuring that you have the right mental tenacity and positive attitude to get you through the tough days/weeks is something that only comes with time on the hill in similar situations. Taking only the positives and working them to your advantage and not letting negativity get too much into your line of thinking was something that used to help me get through the big hunts in years when i would spend more days hunting/guiding then being at work in a 'normal job'.
Please keep us updated. I wish you all the best and certainly it would be a wonderful hunt i have thought long about doing at some stage.

Back