Montana Senate Bill 333 - Create offense of trespass by unmanned aerial vehicle.

JMG

Here is a Senate Bill that has "flown-under-the-radar" (no pun intended). The SB 333 simply establishes a statute of criminal trespass for flying drones over private property. This sounds innocuous, but in effect, this Bill would establish private property ownership of the airspace above the private property. The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) has jurisdiction in these matters and it clearly states that it is legal to fly aircraft at any altitude over 400 feet in uncontrolled airspace in "remote areas". This Bill may set precedence on the corner crossing issue.

Something to think about ... reach out to your respective Senator at the MT Legislature.

Here is a Senate Bill that has "flown-under-the-radar" (no pun intended). The SB 333 simply establishes a statute of criminal trespass for flying drones over private property. This sounds innocuous, but in effect, this Bill would establish private property ownership of the airspace above the private property. The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) has jurisdiction in these matters and it clearly states that it is legal to fly aircraft at any altitude over 400 feet in uncontrolled airspace in "remote areas". This Bill may set precedence on the corner crossing issue.

Something to think about ... reach out to your respective Senator at the MT Legislature.

Been thinking quite a bit about this one. For my job I often fly above private property under the 200 ft mark that SB 333 would consider trespass. I am not sure what the implications are for corner crossing, but they seem relevant.

It's gonna be tough to fight this one. When asked if a drone flying less than 200 ft above your head on your property should be considered trespass, most Montanans would answer with a "Hell Yes".

Been thinking quite a bit about this one. For my job I often fly above private property under the 200 ft mark that SB 333 would consider trespass. I am not sure what the implications are for corner crossing, but they seem relevant.

It's gonna be tough to fight this one. When asked if a drone flying less than 200 ft above your head on your property should be considered trespass, most Montanans would answer with a "Hell Yes".
Maybe they get some “utility easement” where some companies (cable, phone, nat gas)could do it for legit purposes?
Also, realtors love to take pictures of houses they sell with drones. Seems they would be against this.

Maybe they get some “utility easement” where some companies (cable, phone, nat gas)could do it for legit purposes?
Also, realtors love to take pictures of houses they sell with drones. Seems they would be against this.

If one acquires permission, then it isn't trespass so I think the Realtors would be ok.

Yeah, I wondered if there could be exemptions for things like emergency response, utilities, etc. I don't know.

Interesting. I see such a wide variety of situations where this could be applied that it may be tough to make 1 rule fit all situations.

So the neighbors kid is wanting to see your wife/daughter in a bikini by the pool so he sends up his drone.

Hunter looking for big bucks on private property sits on an adjacent road and send the drone over the hill to a hay field that is out of sight but holds plenty of deer. Then he uses the drone to chase deer onto adjacent property that can be hunted.

As mentioned realtors taking pics are likely to be above other private when filming.

Criminals looking for things to steal, ways to break in, etc..

Utilities checking power lines

Psycho nosy neighbors

Amazon delivering packages

Won't be long until people are hunting with drones in places like Texas.

Last edited:
Just a matter of time before “Get off my lawn” becomes “Get your kite out of my airspace”.

The bill is likely unconstitutional and will be challenged in court. Wyoming tried something similar a few years ago and it was shot down like a drone flying over @Schaaf's weekend hot tub party jamboree.
What a great use of legislative time. It so ridiculous to me when outcomes like that can be predicted with bad legislation

I'm just glad that we can finally free ourselves of drag story hour that nobody was ever forced to go to unless their mom or dad was a performer.
Do you think they will pass a bill to burn all movies like Mrs. Doubtfire, Big Momma's house, nutty professor, etc?

It would be best for the children.

Do you think they will pass a bill to burn all movies like Mrs. Doubtfire, Big Momma's house, nutty professor, etc?

It would be best for the children.

every tyler perry movie

White Chicks

man, there's more of these than you realize when you think about it.

Drones are so cheap that anyone can buy them, and use them with bad intent.

Rural landowners don't want "Dirty Mike and the boys" using drones to scout out their cabin or equipment, just to make sure it will be worthwhile to come back with a big van, cut the padlock on the gate, and load everything up.

Rural landowners don't want "Dirty Mike and the boys" using drones to scout out their cabin or equipment, just to make sure it will be worthwhile to come back with a big van, cut the padlock on the gate, and load everything up.
I bet that happens a lot. I’m glad our legislators are spending thousands and thousands of dollars to pass this very important legislation and save us from the horror you described

Isn't that the same logic that the anti-gun folks use on 30 round magazines & AR's?

Like Nameless, I use a drone for work.

I use it over property that I have permission on, but it does cross the property line on the outer flight line and when it turns around.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back