Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Montana OTC sheep tags

kinda sounds like deer hunting here. You can set n a tree stand for days and not see anything, But you know they are there, so, you keep trying. That's all you can do. Up there, the country is so amazing, even if I don't see a single sheep, it will be one of the best hunts of my life!!!!

Why don't you start a thread and keep it rolling with information and updates on your progress and research so others can see what it takes to prepare, hunt and hopefully one year succeed on cutting your tag on a unlimited ram. There are many here who have looked at it, but its all about timing and giving it everything when you are able to.

You can get as fit as a triathlete, but more will hinge on you having a strong mental capacity to overcome issues that will be compounded by not seeing sheep and second guessing where the animals could/might be. I would mentally prepare for it as a 5 year journey, so you can set yourself up with the first year a big learning curve and working on building contacts with locals and biologists and getting an idea of where the sheep have been taken, why they were taken where they were, where they might go to in certain weather conditions and what areas are getting pressure from outfitters and other tag holders.

I guess i would try to hunt a unit that held rams all year long rather then one where you were running park or state lines waiting for a change in the weather to get them moving, as that is one variable that perhaps you don't want to rely on. Pick your unit, learn it and keep going back to it, that would be my advice.

Hopefully if you stick with it those years after your initial hunt will start coming together and you will build a picture of what it takes to get it done on a legal ram and you might join all the pieces together at some stage and put one in the crosshairs.

Be one heck of a thread and you just never know who might send you a pm with some updated information on sheep movements and locations if you are seen to be giving something back to the forum and prepared to help others, not just yourself.

Anybody can get behind a computer and talk a big story, but i will have respect for the guy who continually hunts those unlimited units, whether he is successful or not. Many say they will do it, but very, very few seem to go through with it.

Good luck, it would be one heck of a story to tell the grandkids if you commit.

Last edited:
Here is the unlimited ram I lucked into back in 2009. It was one of the most difficult hunts, both mentally and physically, that I have ever been a part of. It was also the most rewarding.

It took me a few years of going in a week early and hunting a week into the season to make it happen. I saw legal rams every year before the season started, but once the crowds appeared a couple days before the opener, the rams disappeared into the timber. The sheep in the unit I hunted are almost like a different species than the rest of the herds in Montana. They are way more wary and even look different.

The best advice I can give is, go in early, cover lots of ground, and glass so much your eyes bleed. Also don't skyline yourself by walking open ridgelines...I had two groups of rams I had been watching for days scared off by other hunters doing this.

Good luck and save one for me, I'll be back in 2017!
DSC08349.jpg
DSC08363.JPG

Is this a Sept hunt??How far is the pack to get to where the sheep tend to be?I know its different units and would vary,but its a generalized question.Just want to see if this old guy has one last crazy trip left in me.Or I should say my body as my mind is still in its 20's.When I lay on my death bed some day I'd like to say at least I tried a sheep hunt.I doubt I'd ever draw a tag and Ak/BC are way out of my budget
That sheep pic was awesome,and had to be an incredible trip.How long is the season typically open till they fill quota?

Here is the unlimited ram I lucked into back in 2009. It was one of the most difficult hunts, both mentally and physically, that I have ever been a part of. It was also the most rewarding.

It took me a few years of going in a week early and hunting a week into the season to make it happen. I saw legal rams every year before the season started, but once the crowds appeared a couple days before the opener, the rams disappeared into the timber. The sheep in the unit I hunted are almost like a different species than the rest of the herds in Montana. They are way more wary and even look different.

The best advice I can give is, go in early, cover lots of ground, and glass so much your eyes bleed. Also don't skyline yourself by walking open ridgelines...I had two groups of rams I had been watching for days scared off by other hunters doing this.

View attachment 45355
View attachment 45356
Absolutely gorgeous ram! Congratulations!

Why don't you start a thread and keep it rolling with information and updates on your progress and research so others can see what it takes to prepare, hunt and hopefully one year succeed on cutting your tag on a unlimited ram. There are many here who have looked at it, but its all about timing and giving it everything when you are able to.

You can get as fit as a triathlete, but more will hinge on you having a strong mental capacity to overcome issues that will be compounded by not seeing sheep and second guessing where the animals could/might be. I would mentally prepare for it as a 5 year journey, so you can set yourself up with the first year a big learning curve and working on building contacts with locals and biologists and getting an idea of where the sheep have been taken, why they were taken where they were, where they might go to in certain weather conditions and what areas are getting pressure from outfitters and other tag holders.

I guess i would try to hunt a unit that held rams all year long rather then one where you were running park or state lines waiting for a change in the weather to get them moving, as that is one variable that perhaps you don't want to rely on. Pick your unit, learn it and keep going back to it, that would be my advice.

Hopefully if you stick with it those years after your initial hunt will start coming together and you will build a picture of what it takes to get it done on a legal ram and you might join all the pieces together at some stage and put one in the crosshairs.

Be one heck of a thread and you just never know who might send you a pm with some updated information on sheep movements and locations if you are seen to be giving something back to the forum and prepared to help others, not just yourself.

Anybody can get behind a computer and talk a big story, but i will have respect for the guy who continually hunts those unlimited units, whether he is successful or not. Many say they will do it, but very, very few seem to go through with it.

Good luck, it would be one heck of a story to tell the grandkids if you commit.

I will start a thread! Its going to be a hard hunt, but I know it will be dang fun too!!!! I cant wait!!!!

Lawnboy, I will deffinately take a bow. I feel pretty confident with a a bow. Ill also have a rifle too, just for the rams!!!

View attachment 45355
View attachment 45356

that is a very nice ram

Was up south of emigrant looking at sheep and elk in the unit last Friday and Saturday. Could make out at least 4 legal rams possibly 5 or 6 legals from the road. They are on their winter range now--- great viewing this time of year between point of rocks bridge and carbella access on the old road. Good place to start!

I've hunted an unlimited sheep unit, and I've met theat.

I should get some sort of MVP award just for accomplishing both...

SheepHunt2006169.jpg

Legal rams from one of Montana's unlimited area's, are one of the greatest trophy big game animals in the entire world.....that's just my opinion.

Does anyone have any opinions on Duncan Gilchrist's books about Montana rams? How helpful would they be in preparing for a sheep hunt in the unlimiteds?

Does anyone have any opinions on Duncan Gilchrist's books about Montana rams? How helpful would they be in preparing for a sheep hunt in the unlimiteds?

I highly recommend Gilchrist's books and videos (old school). I borrowed some books and videos prior to my Rock Creek sheep hunt in 2008 and found them very informative!!

I highly recommend Gilchrist's books and videos (old school). I borrowed some books and videos prior to my Rock Creek sheep hunt in 2008 and found them very informative!!

If you ever get bored and feel like writing up a story...

I second Gilchrist's books for anyone interested in sheep in Montana. I don't think there's much more about the unlimited hunts then what's in this thread, but still a great read.

Did you have the Upper or Lower tag. If Upper then we probably crossed paths a couple times.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back