Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Montana Mule Deer

john503

Hello All,

I am new to the community/Thread. I want to hunt Montana Mule Deer but I am not sure what units are good for public Land and quantity of quality deer. Can anyone suggest a good starting place (unit number).

Thanks, Happy Holidays!

Look east. Good hunting in the west half also, but lots of special permit areas and much much lower deer densities.

I guess it depends on your definitions of both "quality" and "quantity".

I am looking for easy public land access, I am unfamiliar with Montana, once I get some areas that have a lot of public land and deer; I will just put the boots to the ground and get to work. I guess a good QUALITY Mule deer is a 4x4 for me. I just enjoy hunting and need a place to get started.
The buck you see in the picture with me is a Whitetail I shot in Washington this year. The area was an area I had never been too but there was a lot of public land with a good number of deer in the area. This was day 2 of the hunt. I passed two 4x4 bucks day one because they were small basket Whitetails. This was a nice buck in my book. I just need a place to start with good access and a good number of deer.
Thanks

I have been online doing research and it looks like 250 and 270 are good areas i just need to look at some maps to see what the public land access is.

I have been online doing research and it looks like 250 and 270 are good areas i just need to look at some maps to see what the public land access is.

270 is next to impossible to draw, and 250 is hurting really bad. PM shoots-straight if you really want info on 250.

Unless you're really set on doing a mountain hunt, I'd look at the Eastern half of the state.

Randy11 is right on. You'll be waiting a long time to draw 270. And 250 won't be an easy hunt.

What you want is to get a general deer tag for MT and then go to a place like the Missouri Breaks around Fort Peck Reservior, or pick out a place in region 7 with a bunch of Block Managment land and go about getting permission to hunt private through that program (don't worry, its easy). The access is good, the deer numbers are good. The hunter numbers are moderate to high, and the trophy quality is not great. You won't shoot a 180" buck, but you should have a good chance at a 150" buck.

Back