Montana mapping gps chips

elkhunterwannabe

I elk hunt in a GMU unit in NW CO with alot of public and private land. I don't want to treaspass but know some good areas next to the private land. Montana mapping company make a chip and software that you can put on your Garmin GPS to positively locate the boundries between private and puiblic lands. Is it everything the website claims? There is even a plot map version that identifies the land owner that is updated yearly. The chip for Colorado is $99 but could be a great tool in my elk tool box if it is accurate. looking for feedback before I purchase.

I recently got a Garmin Oregon 450 and the Montana Map card for Montana. I have only had it out a couple times, but I am very impressed. It seems accurate down to 30 ft. or so. I checked it on my own property where I know the boundries. As I approached the boundary it told me I was 15 ft. on my side then I took a couple steps and it said I was 15 ft. on the neighbors side. Not quite accurate enough to find exact propety lines, but certaily accurate enough to hunt close to inaccessible property without tresspassing.

I also took it out scouting some new territory in the pickup. It was nice to see exactly where I was on the map in relation to other roads and trails.

I am sure it will be a valuable tool as I too hunt elk in country that has some checkerboarding of public and private land.

I used the PLAT version (with names) in Wyoming. As I was driving the dirt roads it was right on as I crossed the fencelines. It's accurate. So impressed I bought 4 more states. They will give you a "deal" if you buy multiple states.

good luck to all
the dog

Thanks for the info so far.
Is there any advantage to buying the cd for your computer and then transfering info to your GPS compared to buying the sd card for the gps? Is performance affected either way?

Buy the copy that you can download to your computer. With this you can study the maps at home on your computer before the hunt. Nice to see the areas you might hunt on a computer monitor. If you ever lose the version you can re-download. Once downloaded on the computer then transfer a copy to the small sd card for the gps.

good luck to all
the dog

Thanks for all the help.
I am going to place my order soon so I can start planning for my DIY archery hunt.
The outfitter I have paid a treaspass fee to over the past 5 years isn't going to be happy when he finds out I was able to get to the same BLM land without paying his treaspass fee.

I bought the sd card for Colorado the other day and love it. It will give me the confidence to hunt a lot closer to public/private lands and access other areas by knowing that I am without a doubt on public land as long as I never get too close to the boundary lines. I have also heard a lot of stories of outfitters trying to run hunters off of blm lands claiming it is private property. With my gps now there is no question if I am legal or not

I plan on picking up the CO version soon myself. If I get the chip, can you access the maps to display on your computer? That is my understanding from reading their site but thought I'd get an opinion here.

Phantom & Others---The company recently changed the setup and now the SD card in your GPS can transfer the maps to the computer by hooking up your GPS to the computer with the USB cable that came with your Garmin. That was not able to be done previously. They also have updated the system so you can go online the same way on their website and update the chip. The first update within their calendar year, which is different from the normal calendar year, is free, Then there are fees attached, but now you don't have to send the chip in by mail to have it updated and risk having it damaged in transit and it's quick.. I just did my freebie update online last week and it was pretty simple to do and took about 10-15 minutes.

Yep, the chips are only for a Garmin GPS and it's best with a color screen to make it easy to see the landownership by color, although it does have a statement that comes up also telling you the land ownership wherever you place your pointer.

Back