Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Montana FWP makes seismic shift in elk permits

I appreciate what @Eric Albus said to the group about the fact that part of the problem here are landowners who harbor elk (not exactly his words).

Interesting conversations and viewpoints and I am glad someone said it.
The line "Hunters want a hunt and landowners want a harvest" hit me as being pretty standard differences in thought. There was also someone who said "public hunters can't kill elk" in relation to the ability of most hunters to be successful. I think the same guy referred to the how an effect program could allow hunters to "execute" 6-8 elk and then more hunter could come in the next day and "execute" 6-8 more without scaring them off.

The line "Hunters want a hunt and landowners want a harvest" hit me as being pretty standard differences in thought. There was also someone who said "public hunters can't kill elk" in relation to the ability of most hunters to be successful. I think the same guy referred to the how an effect program could allow hunters to "execute" 6-8 elk and then more hunter could come in the next day and "execute" 6-8 more without scaring them off.

"There's a difference between hunting season and harvest season as I see it" - The Director of FWP

"There's a difference between hunting season and harvest season as I see it" - The Director of FWP
Regarding Region 6 mule deer problems, I believe he just said he had the staff look at how many hunters had bought multiple tags and how success they were. I don't believe FWP has the latter data because they don't sample well enough. Hell, the email below is for this year and it excludes elk.

Screen Shot 2021-12-17 at 1.04.03 PM.png

Incredible considering FWP phone surveys are part of the POM equation for wolf populations... Same childish use (phone surveys(?)) for Moose is fitting for what our counts inaccurately produce.

That was me who said it

That was me who said it
It was interesting to watch. Reminding me of a lot of corporate meetings I attended- no real agenda, lots of non sequiturs and rabbit holes, and it ends when people get tired and nothing material accomplished. Everything seemed to come back to too many hunters. My thought after watching was the one thing everyone might agree on is more LEOs and better enforcement of rules. After that I found myself really worried about being able to find common ground on much else.

I can relate to both of those quotes.

Not reimbursed, because wildlife exist as a condition of the land according to the Montana State Constitution and two Supreme Court decisions (Rathbone & Sackman) that expressly state that wildlife must have reasonable accommodation for that wildlife, while the agency is directed to work with the landowner to bring the situation to a reasonable conclusion.

Does FWP always do the right thing here? No, not always. There are ways to do better. That's never given the opportunity to see the light of day as well funded think tanks like PERC & dark money groups like UPOM are constantly pushing for conflict rather than actual solutions.

Is it the fault of hunters though, when elk congregate on lands where they won't get shot or where neighbors are creating refugia situations for other landowners to deal with once the season is over?

Furthermore, leasing for hunt clubs or outfitters cashes in on that crop damage issue as well, so there's a free market solution here, without government intervention. That market solution however comes at costs to other landowners who do allow public hunting or who are impacted after teh season when elk move over to fresh fields and haystacks.

Damage hunts, fencing, conservation easements, block management, etc all exist to help deal with these issues. It's not perfect, so what's the other solution besides transferable tags

I can relate to both of those quotes.
Sure. But they was a lot of conflicting examples in the meeting. The brief discussion on Region 6 Mule deer where the member claimed all the out of state hunters (MN, WI, WA, MI) had deer stacked in the bed of the truck. Of course it is NRs and not Rs doing that (sarcasm). If public hunters aren't effective then all those deer wouldn't be dead. Maybe it's just elk? There was the sharing of the picture of the young man who shot an elk and probably wouldn't have had the chance otherwise. Warm, heartfelt story, but not the point of the program. The end result was one-dead elk. Feel-good story sure, but that should be under a different program- which we would all support. Creating a program to give away highly sought after bull tags in LE districts to landowners and supporting it with that example was completely off point.

I would rather the committee make hard decisions and recommend them to the commission and have them turned down than to turf that stuff because they can't come to a "consensus".

Sure. But they was a lot of conflicting examples in the meeting. The brief discussion on Region 6 Mule deer where the member claimed all the out of state hunters (MN, WI, WA, MI) had deer stacked in the bed of the truck. Of course it is NRs and not Rs doing that (sarcasm). If public hunters aren't effective then all those deer wouldn't be dead. Maybe it's just elk? There was the sharing of the picture of the young man who shot an elk and probably wouldn't have had the chance otherwise. Warm, heartfelt story, but not the point of the program. The end result was one-dead elk. Feel-good story sure, but that should be under a different program- which we would all support. Creating a program to give away highly sought after bull tags in LE districts to landowners and supporting it with that example was completely off point.

I would rather the committee make hard decisions and recommend them to the commission and have them turned down than to turf that stuff because they can't come to a "consensus".
If the elk lived where the mule deer in NE Mt do, they’d all be dead too.

If the elk lived where the mule deer in NE Mt do, they’d all be dead too.
Or SE Montana or western Montana or central Montana. Apparently everywhere except few select ranches. Which is probably why there are so many elk on those ranches.

I agree with a lot of the complaints. My issue is I’m afraid the committee just brings together people complaining from their own perspective and no real solutions. It’s like an in-person Internet forum.

I exclusively hunt elk in HD 314 South of big creek. It's been brow tine only for years. I wonder how many elk will be around in 2023 now that FWP will permit hunters to take cows on a general in this area.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gauravsingh
Back