Montana elk

Jeff Seveland

Where to start i am looking into hunting elk in Montana sooner then later. My brother and 2 good hunting buddy are moving there this summer to start a new chapter in there life. They are moving to missoula and i am the research one in the crew. I have done lots of research and i am at a point where there are so many general areas that i dont know where to start. We are looking into areas we can glass and have plenty of cover feed and water. We are currently looking into places within a couple hour drive of missoula. Does anyone have any pointers tactics places to avoid places to look into. Thank you for your time have a great day.

Local game wardens, wildlife biologists, g&f staff, local sporting goods stores, taxidermists... are all great resourses. Make some phone calls. You will learn a lot.

Compared to what you have in Wyoming, you will probably be a bit surprised at the hunting pressure. If you are an archery hunter, you pleasure will be higher and the odds of consistently being elk will be better.

Good luck.

Lots of great elk hunting within 2 hours of Missoula. Guys South are pretty tight lipped. mtmuley

Thank you guys i will look into spending some time on the phone with game and fish and other phone calls. We hunt archery mainly for elk and rifle when we are not hunting mule deer thanks again.

I hate to say it, but you won't find many souls charitable enough to hand you the keys to their Ferrari hunting spots unless you have built a degree of trust and relationship with them. I'll go far enough to tell you that you should focus on the Pioneer Range to the SE and/or the Pintlers. Spend some time Google Earthing, look for grassy meadows with adjacent north-facing timbered slopes. Put some boots on the ground; you'll find some elk.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sinhba
Back