Montana Elk Herd Info?

Z Barebow

I am looking for a source on the elk herds in MT. Looking for biological info. Population of herd and/or unit, bull to cow ratio, calf/cow ratio etc. A website link or other source.

I can find the harvest data on the MT FWP website, but cannot find the data noted above. Research elk units (general) for 2013.

Thanks in advance.

I might be wrong. But I think you may be better off calling the bios in each region you are interested in. Then getting the specific info on certain areas from last year's surveys. So much of the data, such as the elk management plan is completely useless it is so old. We need a new elk management plan based on new surveys and info.

There is very specific info on certain areas. Like the south fork of the flathead, horrible cow:calf ratios last year, but the swan had quite good ratios.

Back in 2008 they had all that info on the FWP web site, But i don't think they have it any more ?. I spent a lot of time trying to find it a few weeks ago too, and I couldn't find it. ?.

Kevin

There are alot of elk in some places of Montana.Thought the residents want you to think otherwise.Make some calls to biologists they have good imfo.I had a great hunt in Mt. 2 years ago and will be back this coming year most likely.I will say Mt. is much differnt then other places I've elk hunted in that people there get away from the roads.I was shocked to run into a few guys 2 miles back in as that hasn't happened in any other state I've hunted.Also, the terrain there is much tougher then I expected so be well prepared.Alot of BIG elk available on the general tag to someone who does their homework.Either I got lucky or did my homework well,but my spot there is elk heaven,and I located it from google earth 2000 miles away

There are alot of elk in some places of Montana.Thought the residents want you to think otherwise.Make some calls to biologists they have good imfo.I had a great hunt in Mt. 2 years ago and will be back this coming year most likely.I will say Mt. is much differnt then other places I've elk hunted in that people there get away from the roads.I was shocked to run into a few guys 2 miles back in as that hasn't happened in any other state I've hunted.Also, the terrain there is much tougher then I expected so be well prepared.Alot of BIG elk available on the general tag to someone who does their homework.Either I got lucky or did my homework well,but my spot there is elk heaven,and I located it from google earth 2000 miles away

I second this. Its nuts to be back packed into the crazies 5 miles and have two day hunters walk into your area :eek:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MontanaPete59102
Back