***Montana DIY Public Land Achery Elk***

genesis273

First, when reading, remember that this is coming from a North Carolina whitetail hunter that has never hunted anything on the left side of the Mississippi! :eek: But I want other eastern flatlanders who dream of a hunt like this read this and be encouraged.

I have been dreaming about going on a Montana elk hunt for 25+ years. Being from North Carolina, the logistics are a little tougher than if you live in the general area of Montana. I have been a member of this forum for a few years, and the main reason I joined was because it put that little bug in me and it helped me realize that I could actually do a DIY hunt. Randy and the guys on this forum given me that hope that I needed. After years of putting it off, the opportunity came up from another hunter from NC who has bowhunted elk on Montana public land for 21 years. This guy is a great bowhunter and has the same mindset about hunting as I do.

**The results of this hunt was purely due to the vast knowledge of my friend who I went with. He knew every wallow, every trail, every place that the elk want to be in the drainage that we hunted. We hunted an area that bordered the Idaho border, and this place was pretty steep! More than I`m use to! He warned me well in advanced about the terrain and the altitude!

I have heard that the success rate on this type of DIY hunt was extremely low, but I was willing to take the risk! We planned a 14 day hunt, and also planned on driving the entire 2500 miles cross country to get there.
In all, the hunt was brutal, but the reward was unbelievable! We "packed in" a camp 2.8 miles from the trailhead, which was tough toting all of that camp gear in. Immediately after camp was set, we were off to hunting. On the second day, I was able to shoot this great bull (5x6)! Him coming in bugling was the most unbelievable thing that I have ever witnessed while hunting. He walked in to within 20 yards, turned broadside, and I was able to send a shaft tight behind his shoulder, and then watched him run approx. 100 yards! It really hit me of just how magnificent this was when I walked up to him! I stood there and stared at him and his size. My buddy came up, congratulated me, took plenty of photos, and then worked for 20 hours to get all of the deboned meat to the coolers at the truck. To say that I was beat, is an understatement!

Three days later, my buddy shot a cow that came in too close! He had another 1.5 weeks to try to kill a bull, but knowing we had all of that meat from my bull in town that needed to be put up, he decided to end the hunt and head back for North Carolina!

I will say that, I have a new respect for you pack-in, DIY, public land mountain elk hunters!
Running around those mountains, carrying meat, minimal sleep, and driving 5000 miles in a week was almost more than I could bare!

To all of the elk gurus, what would you think he will score. One side is a little weaker than the other.
Thank you Montana, Mark (hunting buddy), and Randy (Big Fin)!

Awesome. glad you had a good time in MT.

Looks like a successful trip! You must have done you're homework and it paid off. Congratulations! It isn't always that "easy" :D

Congratulations! The hunt beats you up, but the reward of that bugling bull and the whole thing playing over and over in your mind will make you look forward to the next time you get the chance to hunt again. Great looking bull.

Congratulations! That's a lot of driving, glad you made it home safe.

Super! Looks like your hooked now. Congrats. I've hunted the ID side of the border a few times and steep is an understatement of much of that country.

Awesome bull! Congrats!

That almost isn't right to stick one that big on your first trip out :D

Awesome trip that is the way to get it done great elk he will look great on the wall and taste just as good.

Sounds like a fantastic trip for you and your friend. It sounds like the drive and work involved were more than worth it - tags notched or not. Heckuva first (second or tenth) bull you got and glad to see your buddy brought home some meat as well.

I keep telling myself I need to do a Montana archery elk hunt one of these days soon, but I haven't grown the necessary pair (yet). This Western Flatlander doesn't know where to begin with planning it, but your post sure gives me encouragement. Congrats!

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back