Montana Corner Crossing Updated?

I don’t know of any private landowner who has to “corner hop” to gain access to their private, I’d suppose there are some, just none I know of.
Here is an example from WY where the owner needs to corner hop public in order to reach some of there's. Private has a blue line.
Screenshot_20230108_092923_onX Hunt.jpg

And here is the area you lease several areas you need to corner hop the public to access private.

Screenshot_20230108_092841_Chrome.jpg

@Eric Albus don't get my wrong I respect the hell out of you coming on here knowing your opinion isn't going to be a favorable one yet you come on using your real name! And if I was going to ever use an outfitter you would be at the top of list bc of this.

But let's call a spade a spade. If MT said corner crossing was legal how many clients would you and other outfitters lose who hu t checkerboard land? I am guessing a lot of your clients wouldn't want to see other hunters or know they could only hunt themselves a section here a section there and not 1 huge chunk of land. Just say you don't agree with corner crossing bc of the financial impact it will have on you, please don't placate us with the whole " think of the damage the wildlife would take" or " How many guys are going to trespass and shoot game on private." You are better than that.

A private landowner corner hop his/her equally entitled public land to gain access to the other private land? Because s/he's a landowner does not lessen the right to public access.
No I 100% get that I was saying in my hypothetical example above. Corner crossing becomes illegal but if a landowner doesn't allow than they can't access the public via corner crossing. (That was tongue and cheek)

The more realistic one would be make all said public wilderness so no wheeled traffic and no grazing on landlocked publics grounds.

If I called up the local PD to complain about someone violating my airspace, they would tell me to put down the crack pipe.
To your point, FAA controls airspace above 400ft. So basically society has determined that private property rights regarding airspace end at some point, for the ease of travel. Now, a new problem is drones. MT is starting to get more rules on drones, but it seems that below 400ft, drones are fine unless they harass or impede the landowner. I don't know of any lawsuit from a landowner for someone flying a drone over their airspace (might be one, I just can't find it). So now we have two things can corner cross, drones and cattle?

id like to know more about such laws in terms an 8th grader could understand

In layman’s terms as I understand it the federal government is required to grant an easement to allow access to private lands.

I’m guessing that the folks who passed that law didn’t think it was fair that the government as a trustee of public lands would ever be able to keep a private landowner from accessing his property.

Seems rather disingenuous to me that some private landowners are now making the argument that public landowners accessing public property is a taking of their property rights and should be prohibited by law.

Good for the goose. Good for the gander.

Previously, @Eric Albus advocated for consolidation of checkerboard lands by means of adjacent landowners being able buy public lands at a lower than market value.

If we are going to consider that as a viable option, perhaps we should also consider having the government buy private lands in those areas at a lower than market value by implementing imminent domain?

Or, maybe we should look at land swaps that compare lands of equal value instead of favoring one shareholder over another?

Here is an example from WY where the owner needs to corner hop public in order to reach some of there's. Private has a blue line.
View attachment 259803

And here is the area you lease several areas you need to corner hop the public to access private.

View attachment 259804
I’d like to see these guys play by the same rules as us during hunting season they don’t need to be driving on our public lands be the clients would love hiking all this

Previously, @Eric Albus advocated for consolidation of checkerboard lands by means of adjacent landowners being able buy public lands at a lower than market value.

If we are going to consider that as a viable option, perhaps we should also consider having the government buy private lands in those areas at a lower than market value by implementing imminent domain?

Or, maybe we should look at land swaps that compare lands of equal value instead of favoring one shareholder over another?
The exchange of assets gets messy. We all need to just corner cross next fall in hopes one of us goes to court. It's the best place for this decision to get made in MT.

Really, no more than one person in a thousand has a clue to what the corner crossing issue entails? I think the awareness is considerably higher than that.

People always like to espouse how intelligent and enlightened they are for reading The Times.

The comments on this tell me that even the self anointed smart ones don’t have even a basic understanding of the issue.

336FCA07-7410-4E1F-A05A-663268F85C2D.jpeg

I NEVER stated at below market value

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
htcooke
Back